1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket alarm system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mickey513, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone put a aftermarket alarm system on their 2010+ Prius? If so, what brand and any problems? I almost bought the oem alarm system but decided against it. I plan on putting something like a Viper alarm system but the Prius being more electrically involved than your average car has made me have second doubts, but I have used the viper alarm system on all my prior cars with no problem ...

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As you've already mentioned in your OP, an alarm on the Prius is redundant.

3. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, I live in a major metropolitan city here in the Bay Area and have know people who have cars broken into even when parked in "safe, low crime areas". Knock on wood but of all the cars I owned, areas I parked in, my car has always been window-shattered free even though on many occasions I forget and leave things in plain sight. I put a big reason to this being the "red blinking" alarm and I add on.

Anyway, the reason I balked at the dealer alarm was because the finance guy try to sell it to me at $400+ and wanted me to finance it into my loan contract. I can get a basic viper alarm for $230 installed.

4. Sig45Mac

Sig45Mac New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was just curious about your alarm question. I just purchased a Prius III and didn't want to pay the ransom at the dealer. They wanted $350. for a VIP RS3200 alarm, and another $250. to install it. I've had Viper alarms in the past as well and they do work very well.
    What did you end up getting?
    Thanks,

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Viper 5902V with Smart Start on my 2010 Prius IV. It works well. Here are some notes. Smart Start lets me unlock, lock and start the car from my cell phone any where in the world.

You have to carry both kefobs for the best security. In valet mode you can just carry the Toyota keyfob and use the cap sense door sensors to lock on unlock the car or the Toyota keybob buttons to lock and unlock the car. Another option is to leave the Toyota keyfob in the car and strictly use the Viper keyfob.

The remote start works from 1 mile away and communicates 2 way. The Viper keyfob shows it is running. I installed auto head lights and have the Viper turn them off when the car is running. No one knows it running.

You can click remote start on the Viper keyfob while the car is running and exit the car then lock it. This is good on those cold days when you stop at a convenience store and want to keep the car running but the doors locked.

I also have the rear defroster and the heated seats connected to the Viper system. On the Viper keyfob I hit defrost and it turns on rear defrost for the time periods Toyota runs the rear defroster. The seats are connected to AUX1 and AUX2 that you can control using the Viper keyfob.

I did not install auto windows because I do not think they will work. If anyone has this working please tell me.

2 people like this.