1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket alloys - proper offset?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Miata Racer, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Miata Racer

Miata Racer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If I don't end up finding a decent deal on Prius Five 17s, I will be shopping for either 16" or 17" aftermarket alloys. I would like them to sit out a little more flush than the stock 15s (but NOT stick out). What offset would be best for that?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    7" wheel? The width will determine the offset you need.

3. Miata Racer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Best guess 6.5 or 7

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really liked the look of my 17x7 45mm offset wheels but if you we're going for the really flush look then a 40mm offset may be better. Alternatively, you can run a 40mm wheel and add a 5mm-10mm spacer to the rear since the rear always looks more tucked.

I had a set of 15x7" 38mm wheels and the fronts looked like they stuck out to far. That's just my opinion and it could have just been an illusion due to the phat 15" tire.

Here is the 45mm offset 17x7" wheel. See how it looks ok up front but sunk in in the rear?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. 714guy

714guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the info F8L.. A little off topic but you can go to Home Depot and get some nylon plugs for under a buck in the hardware section that will get rid of the black holes where the license plate was. I used 1/4 inch size after drilling the hole larger with a 1/4 inch drill bit. The color is about 95% match so it pretty nice, a lot better then the holes.

F8L likes this.
  6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe then I'll be able to get a picture of my car without a fly on it. I think they try to mate with bumper holes. *gross*

I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I can use touch up paint to color the plugs.

Thanks!

7. Miata Racer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah those look pretty good in the pics....I can see where a spacer in the back would make it just about perfect. Any input as far as what larger and possibly heavier wheels do to MPG?