1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Amp Installed in '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeoGeek, Mar 13, 2006.

1. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This weekend I completed the install of an Xtant 3300c amplifier in my '06 (package 4, no NAV, no JBL).
    It went very smoothly thanks to the guides posted here by Sparky & Chris Dragon....thanks guys.
    A couple things I didn't see specifics on, however was how, exactly, to tap in for signal from the factory head unit....so I thought I'd let everyone know what it took to get it done.
    Parts: Metra part 70-1761 & Part 71-1761 (available at Best Buy)
    Scosche SLC-4 (line level adapter available from Crutchfield)
    About 4 feet each of 4 gage (this will depend on your amp's requirements)
    power & ground cable with terminals.
    2 pairs of 17-foot RCA jacks
    17 feet of 4-conducter speaker wire and amp turn-on lead

What I can confirm is that these wiring harness adapters definately work in the '06 Prius (at least those with no NAV & no JBL). I can also confirm that the SLC-4 pairs up nicely with the output from the factory head unit (barring the CD output levels I mentioned in an earlier post..but not a huge problem).

The other thing I can confirm is that there is much to be gained from upgrading the factory speakers and adding an Amp.

A few pictures of the finished product & work-in-progress.

2. toph

toph New Member

Looks good....Nice fit....

Wish I could hear it!

:lol:

3. slortz

slortz New Member

Looks like you have a 150A fuse on that bad boy. I think if you try to draw that much current you may blow the fuse on the high voltage inverter in the car. I believe the hv inverter is capable of putting out 100A max...so what you safely have on tap would be even less than that because the car uses a certain amount for various functions. On another thread someone did a good job of quantifying the current usage with different combinations of accessories running.

I have an amp that calls for a 135A fuse but I put in an 80A circuit breaker instead.

Nice install, in all other regards. :)

4. slortz

slortz New Member

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a 120A fuse on the 12V Aux Battery. For your amp setup, I would go with with no more than a 40 Amp fuse. With a 150A fuse, you might as well be going with no fuse at all since that would only be good for protecting the battery from a short circuit if the power wire comes loose and grounds itself on the frame. If you are pushing the amp to the limit, you'll probably draw, at most, 30 Amps.

I am sucking down about 700 watts RMS with my amp and I have it protected with a 60 amp fuse, and it hasn't blown yet despite having the system cranked regularly.

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 150 Amp fuse is there because it was the next notch up from the 100 Amps
    max draw suggested by the two 50Amp fuses on-board the Amplifier.
    It's really just there for dead-short protection....it's intended to limit the length of unfused cable between the battery & a blow-able fuse.

Realistically, I don't think I'll ever draw anywhere near the 100 Amps that the internal fuses would allow.....more likely, by running the Amp in 3 channel mode, with each channel driven into only 4 ohms, I'll probably be generating no more than 360 watts. That said, I'll probably never pull more than 50Amps of current.

BTW, my wiring by-passes the 120A fuse by tapping in right to the +12V battery post...so that's not in play.

I may upgrade to the Optima Yellow-top I've heard about if it looks like the amplifier's drawing more juice than the factory battery can muster.

Now I just need to fabricate one of those sweet fiberglass sub enclosures I've seen others (here on PriusChat) building. Looking to put either a JL 10W3v2 or
    a Diamond Audio D6 10".....anyone know how well those do in the Prius???

Thanks for all your input!

7. slortz

slortz New Member

I one sense yes, but in actuality you can't really by-pass the hv inverter because that is feeding the 12V system. If you overdraw what the 12V battery can supply then essentially the power will be provided from the hv battery through the inverter and hence through the 120A fuse. Just thought I might clarify this in case someone might think they can pull over 120A from the 12V system without risking blowing the fuse on the inverter. :)
    Anyways, like you said, I don't think you are running a risk if your sure your amp isn't pulling too much.
    BTW, I tapped in to the 12V battery the same way you did :) and also thought about adding an additional battery but so far I haven't had a problem. The amp I have is capable of 800W RMS. I have a single 10" Infinity Perfect running on it now and another waiting in the wings for me to finish building its enclosure. Going with this 10" speaker size, trying to fit it in the side cubby over the battery, trying to meet the enclosure volume specs, and trying to leave the trunk bottom storarge compartment unobstructed, presented a lot of conflicts. I got it to work and am happy with the results but it was tons of work and I had to cut out parts of the stiff trunk lining to create more volume for the enclosure to meet spec. In the end, it may not have mattered so much to get the exact 1.0 cubic foot called out, oh well, what's done is done.

I've never heard any Diamond Audio stuff so can't comment there, but I really like JL Audio woofers. I had a pair of 12s in my previous car (can't remember the model but it wasn't even one their top ones) and I think I liked the JL sound better than the Infinity I am running now. I know it's hard to make a straight comparison because so many things are different between the setups so take that solely as my impression and nothing else.

8. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll throw in my thumbs up for the JL Audio. I purchased a 10W6V2 last weekend, and was not disappointed! This is my first JL Audio sub. I've used Alpine and Infinity and was pretty happy with those, but JL blows them out of the water.

What are you plans for cooling the amp? Just leave the cover off?

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you're looking to build a fiberglass enclosure, wait a few more days and i'll have a finished tutorial on how to do it posted on here somewhere (got the messy parts done, just working on the finishing touches right now)

I'll also be including a lot of info on the JBL amp that comes with the upgrade package if anyone is looking to tap into that to bypass/suppliment it.

10. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Xtant 3300c has built-in fan cooling....with that and the extra open air space
    in the storage bin, I think it should work okay.
    I'll know better once I put the sub in and really put the amp to work.
    If push comes to shove I could install another fan to ventilate the storage bin....I've seen pictures (here on PriusChat) where somebody else did that.

I think I'll probably go with the Diamond Audio 10.......
    I've owned many different subwoofers over the years, including several JL models.
    And although I have had really good experience with JL, all the other speakers in the Prius are now Diamond. I've been told that, after much use, the JL's suspension tends to loosen up....I've owned a Diamond sub before (12"-M5) & that didn't happen....even after 6 years of healthy workouts.

11. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll have to keep an eye on my JL, then :). With the built-in fan, you'll probably be okay with what you have now, but keep in mind that if you put the cover on, the fan will just be blowing the hot air that's trapped in the bin. With a sub, that will almost certainly cause the amp to overheat. Good thing for thermal protection on the amp, though! :)

I think I might need to add another fan for intake on my setup since the exhaust fan doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job. When I take off the cover, it's like opening an air-lock and i get blasted by a wave of hot air.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I had a JL sub in my previous (previous, previous, previous actually) and it held up for 7 years with no issues at all. After I sold that truck, I gave the box/sub to a friend and he used it for another 5 years, and it still sonded great!

I have full confidence in JL subs, and I bought another (the massive 8W7!) to put in the Prius. Not that Diamond is bad or anything, quite the contrary. I think their drivers are spectacular.

[Broken External Image]:http://mobile.jlaudio.com/images/7739.jpg

13. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Considering the amount of power I have available (about 360 watts RMS @ 2ohm bridged Mono), I was really only considering the JL W3 series or the Diamond D6 series.....both want .625 cubic feet sealed...which is what I've seen others getting out of fiberglass custom enclosures in the rear-right cubby.

Now you guys have got me re-thinking. I wouldn't be doing a W6 or W7...so that's not a consideration....just a head to head between the D6 & W3...hmmmm.

I've owned JL W5 series, W1 series, & W0's in the past...loved 'em.
    My M5 Diamond 12" was also a solid performer. Tough call....I can get either for about the same price...so that's not a big factor.

Your input is appreciated.

Matt

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

My enclosure is going to be in the left (driver's side) so I'll be using the little storage compartment too. We've worked it out and we should be able to get about 1.2 cu. ft. which is enough for the W7.

15. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I also have the exact same 150A fuse in install in the 2004 Prius with RF T8004 and memphis amp. My amps can suck down about 150A if driven hard, but I would never drive them that hard for more than a millisecond.

I also see no big reason to go with a smaller fuse. The main purpose of the system fuse is to protect the wiring, and as long as you are using large enough gauge wiring to handle 150A, that fuse is fine. I suppose it would be more conservative to use a 100A fuse to attempt to protect the DC/DC inverter from overheating though.

16. Del Sol

Del Sol New Member

My bet is that the DC/DC converter will current limit itself well before the 120A fuse blows. The 120A fuse will be there to protect against a fault in the inverter or a short in the battery cable.