1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Catalytic Converter and MOT Pass/Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MDMU, Jan 27, 2019.

1. MDMU

MDMU New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Good evening
    Some of us would have heard of the recent spate of catalytic converter thefts in London so tens (if not hundreds/thousands) of us are being forced to replace our cat's.
    A replacement at the dealership is quoted at about £2000 GBP.
    Some independents are doing it for about £600.
    There are some aftermarket exhausts on eBay for under £150 (exc. fitting, naturally).
    I wanted to ask if anyone has (for whatever reason) replaced their exhaust with a cheap aftermarket one and then taken an MOT and how they did in that?
    Will be very helpful if you can link or refer us to the specific exhaust you purchased.
    This will potentially be helpful to a lot of poor victims on here.
    You can see the following thread for more details:
    Stolen catalytic converter in london uk | Page 11 | PriusChat

At the moment, I am looking at an exhaust on eBay UK item number 141604463740

Thanks in advance

SFO likes this.
  2. gptoyz

gptoyz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My catalytic converter was completely clogged with a blown out donut. I ordered one of the direct fit ones from ebay. IF the direct fit catalytic converter has a flare on the end, it is a very easy DIY project - mine however did not. The idiots that made mine used the same size diameter piping with no flare so it got a little tricky.

With a direct slip fit, you should only have to use a strap chain cutter, to cut the factory front section off and then replace the donut and the catalytic converter @ the header. Just swap the o2 sensor from the old cat to the new cat.

They will include a U-clamp that you crush the flared end on to the existing exhaust pipe and off you go

There are a few states here in the US, couch couch california, that won't allow this as a replacement because it doesn't have an EO number.

But as long as that is not a concern this is a very easy DIY

3. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    For a different car I replaced most of the exhaust with an aftermarket OEM-type system from RockAuto that was really inexpensive (+/- $200 usd.). I'm not sure what your "MOT" is ... but I'm guessing that it's an emission test like we have in the States. Anyway ... My car passed clean within a week of system replacement.

I hope that helps.