1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket CD Changer Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jlwhite, May 22, 2005.

1. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Hi there,

I'm going to be installing a 12 disk fm modulated cd changer in my '04
    Prius and I was wondering where the best places to take the ACC 12v and constant 12v sources were (can I come directly out of the fuse box or out of the factory installed radio/cd player).

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Where do you plan on installing?
    For high current 12V ACC, use one of the power outlets, unless you modded them for full time power.
    The ACC fuse is only 7.5A, just to let you know. The idea nowadays is to use full time 12V for main power, and use the ACC power only as a remote switch, which would use very little current.

The rear of the car doesn't really have any devices needing ACC so there isn't anything for that there, but you can send a line out there.
    I suppose best place to get it all would be from the radio or amp. Let us know if you want to take power from the front, and if you have JBL.

3. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

DanMan32,

Thanks for the reply! FYI I have the stock radio/cd
    (i.e. no JBL) and I'm planning on installing the changer under the passengers front seat (with the fm modulator installed behind the radio somewhere) The changer I purchased has a 3 Amp fused ACC lead as well as a 3Amp fused continuous 12 volt lead. I was planning on taking these right off of the stock radio (i.e. pins 3 & 4) on the back of the radio. Do you see any problems with that in terms of current draw etc?

Thanks and I REALLY appreciate your quick reply!

LOVE MY SILVER '04 PRIUS (30,500km) and it performed brilliantly thru 1 Canadian winter!

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That sounds good. Hope the changer doesn't actually draw 3A on the ACC side.

5. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Thanks a lot for your help! I installed it this afternoon and everything works great. I ended up taking the ACC off of the cigarette lighter and the continuous 12v off of the back of the stock radio. I velcro'd the fm modulator in behind the radio, fit like a charm! Thanks again for your quick response DanMan32!