1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket coils?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by yeldogt, Jul 24, 2018.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wondering if anybody has used a set of aftermarket coils ... my experience with many Lexus vehicles has been they start to go mourned 200k. I only have experience with the V6 engines.

I was thinking if I have to take off the wiper assembly for the EGR valve -- would replace the coils.

For the Lexus vehicles we started to use the aftermarket w/o incident -- it's not like we need them to last as long.

I'm seeing sets on e-bay for $50 bucks?

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Denso aftermarket are the only aftermarket coils I would consider using.

iPhone ? Pro

m.wynn likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Taking off the wipers and cowl is not that hard. Replacing functional OEM coils amounts to cargo cult, my 2 cents.

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For me it's about reliability and overall costs -- if I can replace a known item of failure on my own schedule at a reasonable cost I do it. The vast majority of replacement parts are coming from China -- all the Asian OE have factories there .. the aftermarket price has really dropped. The OE are close to $100 and the big box around $60 each

At 212k they have done a lot of sparking -- my independent will charge me about 1/2 hour tacked on to the other job to replace w/ plugs. So i'm looking at about $150 for coils and plugs ... the sets are really cheap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would not do them based on $80 each -- it's now a $400 plus fix .. w/o the spark plugs. That's why I was wondering about the aftermarket coils. How many have tried them and what issues. One would not want to change out old coils to new ones with problems. With 212k .. I'm looking for another year or so with this car. It's been so reliable.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially if you're only having the car for a year or so more, I wouldn't. How can you call it a "fix" lol: there's no problem.

padroo likes this.
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it ain't broke ---- --- --.:)

You could take that one step further, those wheel bearing go out and the struts could go bad and what about that fan belt and all those hoses.

I have time changed things on cars and had the new parts fail, it's hard to beat OEM reliability.

9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Typically a bad bearing or strut will give some warning -- a failed coil will disable the car. And yes, I get that the wiper is not all that difficult ... but my guess the coil will go in the middle of the winter and I will have to have my mechanic do it. Pay for all the same labor and only get one coil out of it .. for more than the cheap sets available if I order up and have on hand.

If I want to do myself -- the car is disabled for all the time I have to wait for the coils to come in. I'm surprised no one has chimed in about buying them

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One infamous failure prediction:

HAL 9000: I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours.

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But if you will loose sleep over it it's your car, peace of mind does matter.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not read that many posts about the coils going out. I believe you are letting fear make your decisions for you.
    I am very happy with Toyota parts for my Prius. The price is pretty much the same and aftermarket parts. With a few exceptions. I care more about reliability and and fuel mileage. If I want MORE power or speed I would have bought a BMW or Motorcycle! :)