1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket exterior hatch lid handle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RobertO, Apr 18, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I'm waiting for the CD with photos I took of the installation on my '04.

It's the same Mercedes Benz OEM aftermarket handle I took off my 300E when I sold it to buy the Prius.

I'll post the pix as soon as I get them.

By the way; you do not have to drill holes for the bottom. I'll explain the whole thing soon as I post the pix with explanations.

Main thing is that it is for CLOSING, not opening the hatch. It is also very unobtrusive, espcially with a thin chrome lic. plate bracket.

I originally bought it for the Bnze becasue it was balck and I got tired of wiping fingermarks off the trunk lip.

Gimme a coupla days and I'll post.

Bob

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Cool! Thanks, Bob. I'm curious how this compares to the one Mark installed.

3. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Mark's may be identical, except I think he said it was black. Maybe it's anodized stainless or aluminum.

The stainless one currently retails for $ 25.00 at the local fancy-pants Mercedes dealer. I expect prices will vary. Wouldn't hurt to talk to BMW, Lexus, specialty car delaers etc. to see if they have a similar product for less.

Bob

4. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

THE REMEDY IS THERE!!!

From "John's Stuff" - Jst put your fingers inside the hand hold and make a quick, but firm downward motion. No accessory needed. They really thought of almost everything.

"The hatch door is designed to be slammed shut. So if you find you are not getting it to shut tight, don't feel afraid to use some muscle on it. Holding back isn't necessary. Grab the hand-hole (that cavity within the plastic, on the right as you face it)then... Slam It! Damn It!"

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ToothYoda\";p=\"43066)</div>
    I’m curious where this “ Slam It! Damn It!" attitude for closing the “back door†(hatch) comes from. It is certainly not in the 2005 Prius Owner’s Manual which states on page 45:

“To close the back door, lower it and press down on it. After closing the back door, try pulling it up to make sure it is securely closed.â€

I for one am not going to slam any doors on my newborn Salsa . . . unless I want my baby to have a rattle.

[will get around to changing my sig file and adding an avatar sometime soon . . . proud papa of an '05 Salsa AM for one week.]

6. peart75

peart75 New Member

sometimes i use the handle on the inside of the hatch. other times this is not ideal, like if i have something in my hand and can't bring it down fast enough. in cases like that i push on the toyota emblem on the back so my paw prints aren't as obvious =]

-drew

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

made one, actually two, from ABS dash board material and installed it on the wife's 2k4. She found that the twisting of her wrist to get to the inside handhold bothered her arthritis. Total cost $0.00 and it works great, no more complaints.