1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket GPS in sunglasses holder?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fuzzy1, Nov 9, 2009.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone tried to modify the overhead sunglasses holder to hold an aftermarket GPS? If so, was it successful?

Someone mentioned this possibility long ago, and I couldn't relocate the thread. This looks like a nice idea to keep it readily available, yet easily and completely hidden when leaving the car. But it would require cutting, at least to remove the nosepiece molding, and possibly drilling to run the power cord. I've already determined that the body of a 4.3"-display unit should fit, but its bracket and power cord entry could botch the whole thing. And signal reception is uncertain.

Before cutting, and possibly learning that a clean looking solution may not be possible, I want to hear of anyone else's solutions or experience..

2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it can get real hot up there

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found that when it is open the sunglass holder can block part of the mirror. I also find it too close to see without refocusing.

4. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd be concerned about signal reception too. Try plugging in the GPS and holding it up there temporarily (zip ties, etc) and drive around and see if you can get signal. I'd love a flip down GPS :)