1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Head Unit Installation Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jrnteacher, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

I have the original standard 4-channel CD/FM/AM stereo in my '06 Prius. Even though it is nicer that any other original-equipment stereo I have heard in other cars, it still pales compared to a well thought out, high quality, high powered aftermarket stereo system.

FWIW, I have installed several car stereo systems with subwoofers and amps - I consider myself to be a solid mid-level amateur car stereo installer.

So, I wish to install an aftermarket HD-FM/AM/CD head unit with new high-end speakers for the four channels and a subwoofer.

All else being equal, I would like to retain the original head unit. I would mount the new head unit below the original in that smoked-clear-plastic-covered cubby. If I retained the orginal head unit, I would like to wire both head units up to the door speakers so that I could use either radio. Does anyone know if that would cause any problems - I shouldn't think so?

Thanks.

Terry in Tampa, Florida
    '06 Prius - 52.5 mpg average over 10K miles

2. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrnteacher @ Aug 21 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]306644[/snapback]</div>

Terry -

Contemplating the same subject - the simplest and best (not nec. cheapest) solution seems to be keep the head and connect the new system with an OEM interface. Something like this -

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansw....php?page_id=79

Rockford and Alpine also make these. You also gain an EQ function.

Terry in Maine

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It might be easier/cheaper/better looking to install an amp and new speakers, rather than installing another head unit. If you do a search, you should be able to find some posts or how-to's in installing an aftermarket amp to power the suround speakers, and there are several how-to's floating around concerning replacing the stock speakers (i believe Infinitys' are the prefered speakers here).

FWIW, i wouldn't install an aftermarket head unit in a car thats this new... the only benifit it would give you over going for an amp instead is the HD-FM, and i'd bet you could find an aftermarket tuner for that which would be cheaper and not really alter the look of the dash like an aftermarket head unit does.

4. Yea, I really agree with you.

I have done an upgrade with the stock speakers, and i'm pretty satisfied with the infinitys sound. If i could have done it over again i would have added an amp. But i couldnt agree more, the aftermarket head unit is a well thought out, good made unit, but the current prius cd/fm/am/mp3 (mines an MP3 player), looks really nice in car and putting a aftermarket unit would look grossly out of place.

i like your idea of putting a new unit in below, and if planned out im sure you'll find out of the vast aftermarket units one that will fit nicely and not look too out of place (let me know what you got). but it does kinda seem like a waste to have 2 units that do the same thing.

Im adding a car PC into mine, i like the idea that i could add a VGA screen underneath the radio unit, which will play DVDs, add navigation, possibly simple games, what ever, a media center for long trips, or long waiting periods for whatever reason. the carPC will also hold all my mp3s so im not limited to whats on a CD. However, its still kinda a waste to have 2 things that do the same thing, but it beats having to have a buncha CDs with mp3 on them.

My plan was after to install the 4 infinities was to add a subwoofer and using the output of the PC, plug the audio into the HU via the aux input in the center console, and run another input directly to the amp for the sub. It would have been REALLY nice to add a 4 ch amp but i didn't want to get into the wiring mess, and now i kinda regret it.

i don't see why not adding another HU would distrib anything.

...but the JL audio thing looks like a really good idea and im glad someone brought that up, maybe you should look into it.

if you need help... just ask, im kinda at your same level with audio, but im a little heavier on the science of it, im a sonar tech on a submarine for the US navy.

5. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 21 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]306648[/snapback]</div>
    man, that thing looks like a really awesome thing to have, you got me sold on it!

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheParadox @ Aug 21 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]307050[/snapback]</div>
    An "oldie" but a "goodie".......
    http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/priusaudio/
    This links you to Tom's page where he has captured a wealth of info on the
    schematics & stats of the Prius JBL sound system (in an '04 I think).
    Maybe some helpful tidbits for anyone considering tapping into the
    signal path.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I have the JL Audio Cleansweep 441-dsp and the SSI. I'll be posting pics and write up of the install in my "Official Mod" thread. I'll give a detailed report of the results...