1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket HID lights on a new to me 2007. Not sure I want them...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by VFerdman, Jul 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have just bought a 2007 Prius from an original owner. It has package #3 on it, which does not include HID lights. The PO really wanted them and got them installed aftermarket. Thus the system does not have a light leveler and the reflectors are from the halogen setup.

My question is: does the factory HID setup have different reflectors? What, besides the lamps and leveler is different between factory HID and halogen? I have not tried the lights at night yet, but the PO says once I do I will love them. I do not want to blind oncoming traffic, so am kind of thinking of going back to halogens.

Thoughts?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is not good...

Yes, and they're terrible.

Since it was a halogen setup, there are now ballasts and a relay kit installed (hopefully!) that takes the skinny halogen wiring and uses it as a trigger line for a beefier line to +12v to power the more power hungry HID ballasts. You should be able to disconnect the relay kit thereby disconnecting the ballast, remove the bulb, install halogen, and go off on your way. No need to remove the wiring or ballasts, but it will just be dead weight.

Driving with stock Prius halogens is driving at night with you holding a torch/flashlight out the window on the road. Once you go to HID lights, it is really hard to go back to the crap that is halogen. Even LEDs don't match up to HIDs but last much much longer, so there's that.

If you want to keep the HIDs and not blind drivers you really need to replace the reflectors. Unfortunately they aren't projectors so you can't just cover the small squirrel finder and be done.

I have tested out and left installed a halogen projector kit from eBay in one of my Prii. The projector is mid-level in terms of beam spread and even-ness and the hole for throwing up light (squirrel finder) is too large as they are made for halogen lights. But covering the hole up a bit, and they make great lights. Since you already have the expensive stuff, I would highly recommend just getting a pair of halogen projectors off of eBay made for the GenII Prius, spending an hour modifying them and enjoy the beautiful light.

3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is exactly the info I was looking for! I will need to explore that option. If you can point me to the parts (on ebay or elsewhere), I would really appreciate it. The lights look a bit blue, is that normal? They do have the ballasts and most likely the relay. When they are first turned on they go through this sequence of dimming and getting to the full brightness. I don't like blue lights at all. White is great, but blue is terrible and is a stupid trend. I will have to drive around at night some and see how these things are. PO said he had no regrets at all for spending a lot of money on this upgrade. For me the jury is still out. But I want good lighting. I live in a countryside and there are a lot of unlit roads with animals darting across.

Thank you for the advice. I am new to this, so forgive the silliness of some of the questions I may have.

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the lights are actually blue, then that's not good. If the lights are bright white with a blue-ish tint and a blue cutoff, then that's good.

This is BAD:

bad.jpg

This is good:

good_hid.jpg

And the left picture is basically what you have now, the colour temperature may be different though. The image on the right is what you want. A sharp cutoff line, bright even spread of light below that.

pnp-vs-retrofit-cutoff-output1.jpg

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You hadn't said anything about going this direction but I'm going to throw it out there....
    If for some reason you are thinking about going to factory HIDs, they are prone to failure. Also Toyota bulbs are ~$150 apiece.
    Plus the ballasts can be trouble as well. A few hundred bucks for ballasts if they go out.

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I looked at the bulbs and they looked like they had that stupid blue tint on them. Thy are definitely HID, not fake HID, but they may be tinted blue as well. I think it is the stupidest trend in lighting. If anything, yellow tint is more desirable as it cuts through fog better. Blue just makes things appear fuzzy. Some higher end halogen bulbs from major brands like Sylvania have the same stupid tint and it drives me crazy.

When it gets dark later I will try to take some pictures of what I got for a light temperature and pattern.

What is the difference between projector and reflector? Is that a function of the lens? Where and how would I look for a projector setup to go with the HID bulbs?

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yellow cuts through fog but is dimmer than comparable blue-white light. That "stupid blue tint" is desirable because it allows you to see better in low light situations. The human eye picks up blues much better than any other colour. When a light is blue, it takes less actual lumens for it to appear as bright as an equivalent red or yellow or even plain white light. It usually as high as a factor of 6 or so. Even in your TV when the blue LED gets turned on the intensity is turned down by almost 3x of the red and 6x of the green. That's why there's a standard RGB mixing ratio of 3:6:1 for Red:Green:Blue. 1 unit of blue is equal to 3 units of red or 6 units of green.

Also why all emergency service lights are BLUE as it can be picked up easily even in low quantities in peripheral vision.

Some pictures of the reflector as it is now might be helpful too while you have daylight.

projector_headlight_explain.jpg

A reflector is the old style of headlight. Light shines out in all angles. Any that shines behind the bulb gets "reflected" off of the mirrored surface behind the bulb and due to the many facets of the reflector, gets shot out in a beam pattern kind of like a big bulb.

how-reflector-headlights-work.png

A projector is completely different. The bulb is inside a parabolic completely smooth mirrored reflector area that you cannot see. All the light bounces around and reflects into a lens minus what is blocked by the cutoff plate. That lens then focuses and inverts the light and spreads a perfect beam around if it is a good lens. The picture below shows the shield and it can move via the soldenoid and that makes the light go up higher, aka high beams without an actual separate light source.

768348-XXL.jpg

VFerdman likes this.
  8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, 2k1Toaster. Here is what things look like.

[​IMG]

When going for a ride after dark, I really did not like the lights. They are really blue and tint everything bluish. I hate that. Color is information and I do not want that information taken from me. If the blue light makes it look brighter (but really isn't), then I am willing to spend a little more energy and get the white true color lighting. I hate seeing blue surroundings. It's disorienting and ugly and confusing. I am sure I can get used to it, but I don't really want to. It's like getting used to being color blind for no good reason.

Now the pattern. Low beam is okay, though it goes too far and makes reflective surfaces far away "bling" at me unnecessarily. It's not terrible, but also distracting. The real problem occurs when high beams are turned on. The light output seems to be cut in half or more. It's almost like turning the lights off (but not quite). The pattern does shift up and even further, but at such a low brightness as to be useless. I did not get anyone to flash me on my test drive, so that aspect seems okay (but I will need to check it myself by driving another car in opposite direction). All in all, I think this is a terrible lighting solution as it is now. Perhaps there are other bulbs that do not have the tinted glass and also adding projector enclosures... If you have done this to your Prius, please point me to a place I can look at projector enclosures. I think I will attempt to temporarily put the original bulbs in and disconnect the HID system and see how that treats me. I may just be satisfied with that. At least I'll have high beams.

Here is the box from the bulbs used. I think the system also came from the same company.

[​IMG]

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's not terrible.

Well you are in the minority but it is your car. The blue tint does look brighter. And unless you are a cyborg they *are* brighter to your brain. If you take measurements with a luminosity meter, it won't be brighter. But that's not how your brain works, and the white-blue light is bright. Those bulbs look like 4300K-5000K range bulbs which are a great colour.

I can honestly say I have never heard anyone complain before of the low beam light going too far. That's the entire point. When you're driving down the highway at 80mph, you want the light throw to be very far infront of the vehicle so you can see everything. Similarly you want it wide so that you can see everything around you. This is what you pay extra for. If you want to drive with little pin-hole view halogens go for it. But you're throwing away money downgrading something so you better keep the car a while.

This is true of any single bulb system. One bulb produces a static amount of light. If all of that light is reflected or projected into a square area then you can easily see the brightness is related to the total light over the square area illuminated. When you flip the high beam switch the bulb moves back in the socket with the stock reflector and that causes the beam pattern to go up. But you have the same amount of light from the bulb, so now it is dimmer everywhere. That's what high beams are for. In the US all the signs have a coating made to take small amounts of light and reflect the entire sign back back. And that is why there is a small amount of light thrown up with your low beams, the purpose of the squirrel finders on a HID projector setup. High beams apart from signalling are just to see more, but you give up intensity. If you have a dual bulb setup, then you are adding an additional light when the high beams turn on. Many cars have that setup where the highbeam is a separate filament or bulb.

I would advise just driving with it for a while. I would be very surprised if you don't like it once you get used to it "being different". Apart from you, it is universally accepted as a superior solution. You can't even buy luxury cars with halogen setups anymore.

If you still hate it in a few weeks of night driving, then change the bulbs. Get some 3000K to 4000K bulbs. If you get the "+" versions then they won't colour shift after 1000 hours and will stay that colour.

10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

If you look above the headlight pattern you can see a light in the garage. This light is a fluorescent bulb in my garage. That bulb is very cold white color in reality, but it looks almost yellow in the picture. It is hard to capture colors in such a photo, but as a relative comparison you can see a cold white florescent light showing up as yellow. That's how blue the lights are.

I may be in the minority, but I know what I like and don't like about lighting. I like the amount of light, I am even fairly okay with how far it is thrown, but I definitely DEFINITELY hate the color. As I said, I like things to look real when I am driving. With these lights everything looks like I am wearing blue glasses and I hate it! I want the light to be either neutral white or slightly warm white so as not alter the color of reality. I am very sensitive to colors and I like having colors in my visual reality. I do not think taking that away from me is a good thing despite what majority thinks.

I think low beams do not need to reach as far as high beams, yet in this setup that's exactly what happens. I feel like I am driving with high beams on and when I turn high beams on, I feel like I am driving with just parking lights on. That is total crap and unacceptable. Original bulbs have two filaments and I do not think thy move back and forth in the housing. I think they just turn on an additional filament for high beams that has a reflector/blocker on it, which causes it to add light farther away when I need it (as opposed to all the time). This setup is utterly useless as it is right now. Low beam is effectively high beam and high beam is non-existent. how is that superior? I do not need to see a mile down the road, but I do need to see a well lit area around me and a bit ahead in low beam mode. If I need to see firther I turn on the high beams. That is how it works on every car I have ever driven in my almost 40 years of driving. I like it that way.

Again, I do not believe the bulbs move in the housing (I may be wrong). I am looking at a halogen bulb for this car and it clearly has two filaments. One being shielded by a piece of reflective metal. I think the way high beams work in the halogen setup is the second filament is turned on and because of a slightly different shielding/reflection in the bulb it reflects off a different part of the housing providing a additional light in a higher pattern. This is how high beams work on everything that I have ever driven. I have never ever seen a high beam be lower in intensity than low beam. Never in almost 40 years of driving many different cars, trucks, motorcycles, what have you.

I'll drive this way, of course, only because I don't have the time at the moment to undo it. But there is a fundamental issue for me here. I do not want the low beam to shoot as far as this system does. Bright, yes, give me bright. Far? no Blue? Hell, no!

My sister has a Lexus with HID lights. They do use projectors and they are white, not blue. Cold white, yes, but not a hint of blue Colors look normal under them. They also provide a truly excellent lighting pattern. High beams are brighter than low beams. It's all normal, not this "through the looking glass" feeling I get with this setup I have on the Prius. I like good HID, but this is not it and not a very good approximation.

I'll see how I feel after trying to live with it for a while. I am not sure I will want to keep the existing setup. Perhaps with projectors, but I imaging those are costly and I will most definitely need different bulbs without the blue glass (I can actually see the blue glass on these stupid things during the day when I look into the housing). 3000K sound s good. I am not sure what "+" version means, but I assume some sort of longer life designation.

Thanks again for all the info. This is daunting and I know I am not with majority about the blue lights. I hate them. Always have, always will.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get 4300K HID bulbs, that's oem pure white light without any blue.

Here's 4300K aftermarket HID bulbs in my oem projectors with the squirrel finder cutouts blocked. The parking stall lines are white in this garage, and appear white in this picture:

1500436931846.jpg

#11 xliderider, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    VFerdman likes this.
  12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Eric (waves). I might visit you one of these days for a traction battery eval/refresh.

Let me push back on your statement a little:

So HID bulbs are basically arc lamps, which have a ballpark 4000 hour lifetime. I did the math a while back and it worked out to about 4-6 years of typical driving (lots of people don't drive at night, so longer for them), which is about how long people had their cars before typically posting here for advice. I think a couple model year Priuses had bulbs that went out sooner, but those mostly got warranteed (I think they replaced both the bulbs and ballasts). While toyota retail pricing on the D4R HID bulbs is about $140, you can find them online for like $120. Even cheaper if you just buy the Phillips bulbs off Amazon or something for like $55 (funny story, my bought-off-eBay assumed-to-be-fake HID bulbs lasted longer than the genuine Phillips bulbs that I got off Amazon - to their credit, Phillips did warranty them).

If it makes you feel any better, that's a pretty high-dollar HID kit. Not exactly the questionable-quality $50 specials that you find all the time online and at the back of some car shows (although some of those are surprisingly effective). The reflector design isn't ideal, but the pattern doesn't look too terrible. You can always do a retrofit, as some members here have (paging F8L?) though it's not easy nor cheap (although the results are quite something - TSX projectors are often used since those known to be are some of the best HID systems).

13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to know more about the projector retrofit. Where and how do I find the parts? I am pretty handy, but I am not sure I want to spend huge money on it. I bought the Prius to save money. The bulbs in the car now may be replacements as PO put the kit early on and he said he had to replace the bulbs already. I have not gone inside the housing to look at the bulbs, but I can see through the lens that the bulbs have blue tint on the glass. The originals may have been tint-less. The blue coloring drives me crazy. It's like nails on a chalkboard kind of thing for me. Really tires me out while driving.

14. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your car is older than mine and I've been thorough 2 sets of bulbs already. That the bulbs have been replaced should not be in any way surprising.

You can ask F8L since I'm pretty sure he still hangs out on here. Here's his HID thread: Headlight projector retrofit - HIDs to the max! | PriusChat

You can find quite a few more if you search for HID retrofit. It is a lot of work and I'm hesitant to do it myself.

VFerdman likes this.