1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket keyless entry and/or nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sapphireblue, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue New Member

... I really did use the search to try to avoid covering well-trod ground but didn't have any luck.

I've compiled a pretty beefy list of 02 Prii around the country that have some combination of appealing price or appealing mileage. I've narrowed down my best candidates to a couple that are each a day's drive away and want to be as informed a consumer as humanly possible before I tangle with a used-car salesman :D Neither has the 2 options I like best, keyless entry (which I really like) and nav system (I'll admit it, it's just cool). I'd like to know if it's possible to get these installed on a used '02 and what kind of cost range I can expect. I'd like to know both because I'd like to know but also, I plan to use the lack of these features on these 2 particular cars as a bargaining point to try to bring my price down, and don't want to get snowed with a "we'll throw it in free and that's a three-thousand-dollar value!" sort of trick.

Am in the Washington DC area if it matters.

(Or, do I have it all wrong, and whatever hardware required for the nav is already there and you just have to purchase the subscription? I've read that nav comes "standard" but on the other hand I don't see it listed in a LOT of the Classic ads I have seen. Obviously I have more research to do...)

Thanks!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the SKS system was never an option on a Classic. They were all equipped with keyless entry but you need the key to start it. They are all equipped with immobizers. The nav was an option in the US not in Canada. The Side Curtian airbags were also a US option, but not sure on the 2k2 were on the 2k3. Pay particular attention to tires as they were one of the main issues with the Classic. Better with Dunlop SP2's than Bridgstone Potenza's check to see if the power steering unit has been replaced, if your buying from a Toyota dealer. Other options are cruise control, CD player. There were not of options on the Classic.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you mean front seat side airbags, not curtain airbags

4. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue New Member

I don't need keyless start one bit, just keyless entry... you're saying all the Classics had keyless entry?

Sometimes I wish there were a standardized, universal system for describing a car's options, so that if you saw an ad for one without keyless entry you'd know that's because it didn't have the feature. It could all be coded into a bar code or extended VIN... ANSI could make sure everyone was consistent & compliant... a geek can dream, I guess.

Thanks for the info on the tires; I've heard that about the Classics and will definitely keep it in mind when I go take a look at whichever car.

Still hoping someone not from Canada can help me understand whether nav requires hardware install beyond the standard package and if so what it'd cost!

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The NAV on a classic '03, according to the wiring diagram, isn't as integrated as on the '04. Woops, further look, only part of the NAV is shown in the radio section.

The problem with adding an OEM nav is the MFD. You need the buttons on the display to control the NAV, as well as accepting the video input from the NAV.

There are aftermarket NAVs that can go in any car, and have their own screen.

Wireless door lock seems standard at least on an '03, but then the anti-theft seemed standard on the '04, but I am hearing from many that they don't have it, so documentation can be unclear on these things.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remote keyless entry is standard in Canada. An anti-theft was an accessory. Note that you can have remote keyless entry with or without an engine immobilser or theft-deterrent system. In the case of the Classic, it just has the standard remote keyless entry (i.e. remote lock/unlock). To get a remote trunk release or a panic feature, one must step up to the Toyota VIP RS300 system.