1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

aftermarket modifications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by capehorn, Aug 1, 2005.

1. capehorn

capehorn New Member

I have been a proud commuter in my Prius for over four years. I now sadly need to get an adaption to use hand controls and don't want to give up my Prius. Does anyone out there know of anyone who has has hand controls installed on a Prius? I would be greatly interested in hearing about the experience.

Capehorn

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    since the gas and brake are electric, this modification should be relativly easy. I have not heard of it in a prius. I have heard of it with other cars.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I imagine Toyota has a program to install these types of modifications. I think most carmakers do. Otherwise they should be able to point you in the right direction. But since there's no physical link for the controls, I imagine tapping into that wiring system would be easy enough.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't think it would be a good idea to do hand controls elecrically. The brake system in normal operation is electric, but does have hydraulics involved, for one to give you the hydraulic feel (which is done with the stroke simulator), and to have simple hydraulic control of the front wheels should the assist fail.
    The accelerator has a dual hall effect system. Might be a bit tough to duplicate properly without triggering DTCs.

Installing controls on the Prius shouldn't be any more difficult than any other car.