1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Moonroof for Prius V with Advanced Tech Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by migs, Apr 24, 2009.

1. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Since we can't have the Sunroof/Moonroof with the Advanced Tech package, I was considering installing an aftermarket solution. Any one think this would be a bad idea? Would it violate my warranty?

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't imagine that it would violate any part of the warranty. There has to be a causal effect. The modification must have compromised or damaged a warrantied part that you're seeking warranty repair or replacement of. I can't think of anything that's warrantied that would be compromised by the moonroof.

If I don't get the 2010 with the solar panel fan and moonroof, I'm going to install an aftermarket moonroof on my 2007 Prius.

EDIT: Note that many places will not install an aftermarket moonroof on the Prius. It's said by some that the Prius's curved and channelled roof presents problems with the proper, structurally sound installation of a moonroof.

3. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Its just would be hard to explain to friends that a 30grand+ top of the line Prius V did not come with a moonroof..not to mention I would really like one works out great here in San Diego

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but you can always say it comes with all these Lexus features that you'll have to pay closer to $40k on an ES350 for example before you can have access to these features.

In fact, LKA and IPA aren't available until you hit the $80k LS460 as far as I know.

5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota / Prius Management...are you reading this? :rolleyes:

6. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Anyone else considering a aftermarket moonroof on the Prius with the Tech package?

Here is a place in San Diego that has experience with Prius (previous generation)

http://www.americansunroof.com/

7. dawtips

dawtips New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If I'm already spending $31k, I would gladly spend a bit more for a moon roof, even if that sacrificed a few mpg.

8. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Seriously, it was not the best decision in my opinion, to package the top of line Prius without the moonroof, most all the other manufactures top of line models usually come standard with a moonroof. They should of removed the spare tire, or gave choice of 16inch wheels instead of 17inch ones to save the weight.

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, this has been discussed many many times now, and Toyota does know how so many of us feel...

They did say their engineers are looking into this and perhaps it will be changed down the road, unfortunately those of us buying the 2010 now cannot get it.

10. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had one installed on my 2008 and they did a great job. It looks just like a factory install. It took all day and the cost was about $1100.00. They installed the Webasco unit. I plan on purchasing the 2010 Model V with the elect. package for my wife when they become available and will go down to SD to have the sunroof installed.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might affect the rust perforation warranty on the roof panel only.

12. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Ive noticed from pictures that some of the aftermarket moonroof kits once finished, are not completley flush with the roof line like a factory moonroofs. I wonder if that slight "lip" would affect the aerodynamics much?

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, very good point.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the warranty part (it's only five years). But I would take into consideration the increased risk of rust perforation associated with installation of a moonroof, especially an aftermarket one. In this regard, it'd be worth exploring what anti-rust measures the installer takes and what warranties the installer or moonroof manufacturer offer.

14. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine is completely flush. The Webesco unit is not quite as wide as some of the other units are. There was one (don't remember the make) that was 3" wider. The ASC location in LA installed that one. When I called to speak with the sales rep he told me straight out that I might not like the look on that model. He said he had some customers that when it was completed were not happy with the look. At the time they did not install the Webesco due to some contract agreement with this other model. The SD location installed the Webesco units only. Check the photos on my in my album. On the outside photo you can get a glimpse of the front part of the roof. I did not take a full top photo...never thought to do that view.

15. chestnu1

chestnu1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IMHO I think that in a few years when Toyota releases the inevitable plug in option that we will be able to get the package V and the sunroof together and who knows by then they may make the solar panels actually recharge the car.

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    by making a plugin, they would have to upgrade the suspension.

the only reason they don't include it is because of weight. it's a fine line untill you re do the suspension....

17. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Completley flush is what I'm looking for. The Webesco website has some good examples of factory like, quality units.

18. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    Maybe there is hope for a sunroof on the Package V??

This is a quote from the official Toyota website

"Toyota strives to build vehicles to match customer interest and thus they typically are built with popular options and option packages. Not all options/packages are available separately and some may not be available in all regions of the country. If you would prefer a vehicle with no or different options, contact your dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing a special order."

19. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I would think that this means only that if your dealer does not carry the specs that you want, they may be able to order one of the other Toyota made configurations, and get it shipped into your region for you. I do not think that this means that Toyota is getting into the 'Special Order' business.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota won't integrate the two due to weight concerns and engineering challenges. This has been stated by TMS more than once. Look @ the Earth Day Chat thread for a chat transcript from the horse's mouth (sorry Doug, you're not a horse...).