1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket NAV install - Canadian Premium Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by green curry expert, Feb 14, 2010.

1. green curry expert

green curry expert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aftermarket NAV install - Canadian Premium Package (and applies to Prius III/IV/V w/o NAV)

Finally installed an aftermarket NAV on my Prius. Let's answer some questions:

- Yes, it works :D And I'm satisfied with the install.
    - I used the Scoshe template, colour matches exactly (but not textured)
    - I connected the reverse and speed wires (and they work)
    - The NAV I used is the Pioneer AVIC Z110BT
    - I bypassed it (bypass should work, I didn't try playing videos while driving. Reason I used the bypass was to avoid connecting the parking brake wire, which required me to rip apart the dash)
    - Sound quality is about the same, maybe a bit better. The frequency response was a bit different, I'll explain that in the conclusion.
    - My car is the Canadian Premium Package with solar (which does not have NAV).

I need some time to type this up, instructions and pix shortly

Oh yea, before you dive in, I recommend signing up for TIS and downloading the relevant schematics and instructions for taking apart the interior. And be sure to disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and wait 90s (refer to Toyota's instructions in TIS).

Update:

Another user, Spiderman, has an excellent document on opening the dash. Please note that his document is for the Prius II (or base model in Canada). So the wiring is a bit different (refer to my instructions if you have the JBL system).

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-toyota-prius-model-ii-head-unit-upgrade.html

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first challenge was to find the reverse and speed wires (which the NAV uses for dead reckoning when in tunnels, driving under an overpass, etc, when the GPS can't get a signal). This was the reason why I wanted a built in NAV so badly.

The wires are "tapped" using connectors like this. If I knew about these earlier, I might actually revisit the idea of installing the OEM Toyota Factory NAV (see my earlier thread).

DSC_5022_edited_edited.jpg

Here's a picture of the harness. The aftermarket route was easier because most of the connections are already handled by the PAC TATO (JBL amp interface), and the PAC SWI-PS (steering wheel control interface). I only needed to tap two wires: reverse, and speed pulse.

I used crimp on connectors so the while thing can be disconnected or reconfigured later if needed.

DSC_5021_edited.jpg

Reverse wire was connected as per the European OEM NAV install instructions. As you can see in the picture, it's the third wire (red) in the second block (counting from bottom). To remove the harness, you need to insert a small screwdriver under the small tab on the bottom and gently pull up while lifting the black handle. Once you lift the handle the harness comes out. In the picture you can also see another wire was tapped by the dealer when they installed my illuminated doorsills.

The plastic cover next to the parking brake was easy to pull out, but hard to put back on. I used a pair of scissors to pull out the blue plugs, inserted them into the cover, and snapped the cover on. It's impossible to hook the cover on with the blue plugs still in the car.

IMG_0244_edited_edited.jpg IMG_0246_edited.jpg IMG_0248_edited.jpg

Next is the speed pulse wire. For base model cars without JBL (Canadian base model, or American Prius II) and cars with the factory OEM NAV have the speed pulse wire on the radio harness. I was surprised to discover that Non Nav JBL equipped cars (Canadian premium package, Prius III/IV/V without NAV) didn't have this wire. The ASL function was performed by the JBL amp, and the speed wire went there.

So finally I tapped the wire off the JBL amp. From the schematics it's the purple wire.

When I looked under the seat I got another set back, the JBL amp had a plastic cover :( No problem, the two fasteners were removed by popping up their centres and pulling them out (see pics). I didn't remove the seat.

I had to pull back the sheathing a little to expose enough wire for the tap to bite into. To do that I pulled off the electrical tape holding the end of the sheathing and pulled it back.

I also managed to fish the wire under the carpet to the console. I then ran the wire inside of the "bridge" into the head unit.

IMG_0255_edited.jpg IMG_0256_edited.jpg IMG_0257_edited.jpg IMG_0258_edited.jpg

3 people like this.
  3. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I originally wanted to reuse the OEM microphone (located between the driver/passenger lights, right behind the rear view mirror). However from the schematics this mic used its own amp, therefore it's incompatible with any aftermarket NAV. Then I decided to install the mic (that came with my Pioneer NAV) in the OEM location. It's also a no-go, as you can see in the pictures the whole unit was sealed :(

So I decided to put the mic right above the rear view mirror. I pulled the headliner down a bit and slipped the wire in. Then ran the wire down the A pillar and into the dash.

The reason for putting the mic there: I didn't want anything sticking out of the steering column, and I got used to tilting my head up when speaking when I used BT with the OEM head unit. And I guess it also allows passengers to talk too.

IMG_0250_edited.jpg IMG_0251_edited.jpg IMG_0252_edited_edited.jpg

The old head unit refused to leave my car :O I had to use all of my extensions just to reach the four bolts holding it down!

IMG_0254_edited.jpg

Now for the iPod interface. I removed the OEM AUX input and used the opening to thread the new connector through. Just like the speed wire, I ran the cable through the "bridge" into the dash.

I liked this location because it's easier to access from the driver's side. The iPod interface for the OEM NAV goes into the glove box (and not to mention the cable itself is like $300)

IMG_0259_edited.jpg IMG_0261_edited.jpg

As for GPS antenna, I wedged it into a small crack slightly above the head unit. I pushed the metal plate that came with it under as well. Reception is so far so good. With dead reckoning the NAV was silky smooth.

Getting everything into the dash was a challenge. The solar roof controller box was located right under the head unit. It's attached to the inside of the dash with a single bolt. I unbolted it and moved it lower inside the dash to free up space for the harnesses, the PAC TATO and the PAC SWI-PS.

2 people like this.
  4. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So everything worked (except for one issue so far), speed wire and all. I would like to thank the users who came before me: rrolff, kamick81, frenchie, and others.

Here are some first impressions of the Pioneer Z110BT (not yet mentioned in any other thread):

- Nav is silky smooth with the speed wire and reverse wire connected. Move the car a little at a stop light, the display responds. Turn into a side street, the nav responds instantly. I have yet to try routing to an address. Will update when I do.
    - Radio displays RDS information right on the screen while driving. On the OEM NAV, you need to apply the parking brake and touch a button to display it.
    - iPod interface does not support Asian characters (unfortunately). Most of my music is Japanese and Chinese. However they are grouped into playlists so it's not too big of an issue.
    - Sound quality is mixed. I didn't notice any dramatic improvement as other users claimed (maybe this is to do with the JBL amp and TATO interface?). However I noticed that the frequency response is more flat. The OEM radio had too much treble and I had to turn treble to "-1".
    - The volume varies a bit depending on what you are doing (I guess this also had to do with the TATO interface trying to determine the volume to set the JBL amp to?). Say I'm listening to a song, if I select a menu item, the volume decreases slightly.
    - The Scosche template is colour matched exactly to the dash. It's actually painted, and scratches very easily. Looks wise it blends well. It does not have the same texture as the rest of the dash as others have mentioned.

Issues:

- Yes, so far I have one big issue: the bluetooth and voice command buttons on the steering wheel don't work. They programmed properly, but when I press the voice command button, it decreases the volume. The bluetooth answer/hangup buttons don't work at all... I'm going to start another thread for this one.

Update:

Resolved this issue, finally!!! See this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...e-command-buttons-work-aftermarket-radio.html

So would I go this route again? It's been a long journey. First, I researched extensively on putting in the OEM nav:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...nstalling-oem-nav-non-nav-equipped-prius.html

Then considered the Chinese headunits.

And finally landed on the Z110BT.

While I enjoyed putting this together, if I did this all over again I would simply go for the Canadian Technology Package.

After owning the car for a few (winter) months. I would appreciate the OEM heated leather seats. The battery is always charged up from warming up and it would be nice to use that extra energy to heat up my back.

Now my parents insist we drive my Prius for long trips. The adaptive cruise control would help here.

Anyways, these instructions are dedicated to people who wanted NAV, but don't want to get the Technology Package. Toyota Canada, please make the Navigation an option for Premium Package drivers!

Attached Files:

5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have the Canadian Premium Package too. I had the front door speakers upgraded to a pair of Infinite Reference 9632CF at Futureshop ($150+$60 installation). It is now at least 50% better in the mid-range and base. Did you upgrade your speakers? I would like to follow up on your future postings. Please post pictures of videos of how to disassemble the console. Let us know your total amount you spent on it too. Thanks a lot in advance.

6. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, everything is posted now. I didn't change the speakers. My goal was to modify the car as little as possible.

As for disassembling the dash, I suggest signing up for TIS and downloading the instructions from them. You need as much detail as possible. I probably spent 2/3 of my time reading the instructions (which way to pull, which screw to take off, etc), and 1/3 of my time working on the car. I still managed to scratch a few of my trim pieces. You need to be very careful.

Cost wise, the headunit was $900 from Amazon (sold by Discount Jungle), the Scosche template was about $30 (direct from Scosche), the SWI-PS was like $40 (from an ebay seller), the TATO was $80 (Crutchfield Canada), and the iPod interface cable was $40 (Crutchfield Canada). I had a friend in the US buy the stuff from sellers who don't ship to Canada (eg: Amazon).

I read on other threads that Pioneer has a rebate if you buy from an authorized reseller. Unfortunately Discount Jungle was not, so shop around and you might get a better deal than me.

7. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks great
    Enjoy,
    Jim

8. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That looks really nice. I wish you did the install and instructions earlier. :) I just installed x910bt today and wasn't sure about the vss and backup wires but after looking at the diagram (Euro) and testing out tells me they are good and same as yours. I also wish the Scosche kit mounting bracket to be metal as it is quite flimsy holding the heavy 2DIN deck. Now I need to do the s/w hacks and install the backup camera in a few weeks. Oh, sound quality is night and day difference for me.

9. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear your install went smoothly. I tried to use the factory brackets because they are metal and provides a better ground (metal is conductive). The holes on the side of the Pioneer matches the factory bracket. The only problem is the surround on the Scosche template attaches to the brackets. So I'm stuck with the flimsyness as well.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks good.

I'm sorry you did not get a big improvement in sound quality. I did, but I have the non-JBL (so no JBL equalization fighting with the head unit). I'm still playing with equalizer and hpf settings. Maybe different equalization settings will work for you. The head unit does allow you to set different volume levels for different sources.

I've noticed with directions, the gps may start out 1/2 a block off. It may be still gathering satellites. It clicks to the right location pretty quickly. It also does a good job of rerouting and giving you a choice of routes.

Its too bad that it doesn't support asian characters on the ipod interface. You can control the music from the ipod directly though in a pinch.

I would have liked to get the canadian options. Its too bad that you couldn't have gotten the car from the dealer the way you liked. I really am enjoying the z110bt though. I hope you enjoy yours as well.

11. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I set the equalizer to "powerful" and it's pretty good for me. I'd prefer the flatter response of the Z110BT over the overly high treble of the OEM radio.

As for the GPS, it locks on very quickly and accurately. The first time I pulled out of the garage after installing it, it got 5 satellites in a few seconds. I didn't see the 1/2 block problem you saw. The next few times I start the car it always shows the last position.

Actually, today I drove along Lakeshore Blvd (which is mostly under the Gardiner Expressway). The NAV got my position using dead reckoning (my garmin would loose position here). I even stopped at a light while under the Gardiner, and the NAV would know that I stopped. This thing is so fun, I'm "lovin it".

Now, if I can figure out how to get it to pronounce street names... it just tells me to turn right after 300m.

12. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I thought about re-using the factory metal bracket but I already adjusted the HU so I don't feel like removing it again and trying to use the metal bracket. Maybe next time I remove the HU I'll see if I can get it going.

13. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The surround will have nothing to attach to. If you can find a way to make it stay, it will probably rattle when you drive the car. You have no choice but to use the plastic brackets that came with the scosche template.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the photo of the 64 pin connector with the reverse wire on it. I was confused when I opened the panel, but pulled up this thread and clamped the right wire with out any problems. My cover snapped back on fine, I wonder if the dealer hurt yours a little when they pulled it off first.

On GPS lock, I normally have 7 or 8 satellites in orange, but have seen up to 10 and have places when I lose them. I am guessing that my dead recogning was off. I reset 3d learning after connecting the reverse wire, and I haven't seen the 1/2 block off problem since. I would have just thought it was normal if I hadn't read your post.

That women would probably mispronounce all our street names and confuse me. I'm loving the head unit. Now gas mileage, and engine shut off aren't the only things better in my new car.

15. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear you got the reverse wire working. No, my dealer didn't mess up the cover. I was surprise how difficult it was to put it back though...

It took a few drives before the dead reckoning got accurate. I guess it needed time to calibrate. I can now drive into an underground parking garage, drive around, and come back out and the NAV would show me exactly where I got in.

Went into the regional settings and set the voice to "TTS Samantha". Now it pronounces street names :D I admit the voice is not as good as my Garmin, but definitely usable and better than no street names at all. It hasn't mispronounced any street names yet...

Another surprise... on the OEM radio, if I press and hold the mode button the steering wheel, the radio turns on and off. I can do the same thing with this Pioneer (with SWI-PS). Very nice!!! Now I can fully control the radio with the steering wheel controls and leave the NAV screen displayed!

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the voice recognition. It's a bit slow but it works. It's great to be able to say someone's name to dial their number instead of searching the phone book while driving (not a very safe thing to do :O). The phone book gets transferred everytime the BT connects, and all numbers get transferred: home, work, cell, etc.

16. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks awesome! Thanks for the pictures. Hopefully they make my install easier :)

17. green curry expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you got the base model it'll be easier (no JBL, same as the Prius II). You don't need the TATO, but you need the SWI-PS and a compatible harness. The speed wire is right on the radio harness so you don't have to snake it through the car like I did. Reverse wire should be the same as on my car.

18. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    green curry expert, I got my PAC SWI-PS today and am wondering how I can connect it without damaging the factory wiring in the dash.
    Did the "to 20 pin steering wheel control harness" (from your wiring picture) come with the toyota "87 -up" wiring harness?

I ordered the toyota 87 - up harness. obviously I won't have the PAC TATO since I don't have JBL. If I don't want to in any way splice the factory wiring, will I need to make other arrangements?

EDIT: also what's the blue wire you used on the PAC SWI-PS?
    the instructions show only the white wire is used.

19. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At least for my Pac SWI-PS there is no connector to 20pin. I just cut the wire at pin 6,7,8 (?) and use them. I'll solder them back if i ever need them back. No big deal. :)
    The 87-up harness with 2 connector is for power & speakers only.

20. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    green curry expert shows a wiring harness connected to the PAC. If I can't find one I'll just use wire tap crimp connectors.
    everything is set to be delivered tomorrow.. SO EXCITED.
    Sorry, now I hijacked this thread.
    *** Slinks away quietly ***