1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket rims, tires and TPMS

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by HEKTOR, Oct 20, 2012.

1. HEKTOR

HEKTOR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I bought a set of 17" rims, TPMS and tire package from DTD delivered last Monday and to surprise one rim was damaged and the valves didn't look anything like the ones on the OEM rims. A couple of calls and I received a new rim and the reassurance by the CSR's at DTD that the sensors are different but they will work w/ the Prius, so far this hasn't happened so tomorrow I'm bringing the rim to have the sensor removed as well as the tire and see if these ppl can reprogram the sensors so the Prius can read them, but this was not guaranteed by the local shop as they have never seen these type of valves. Of course I will pay up front to be reimbursed by DTD for my troubles.
    My post here is to ask if anyone here has had the same issue wit their car not being able to read aftermarket TPM sensors, I called the dealer and they said that the Prius having all these electrical features sometimes wont accept aftermarket mods.
    I would have been able to deal with the warning light being on all the time but being that it's my wife's brand new vehicle wanted to do the right thing to please her never thinking I would be stressed out and what seems like hours spent on the phone w/ local shops/ dealer service departments for something that was suppose to be plug and play.

2. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius uses tire sensors that are mounted in the valve stem holes. What do your aftermarket sensors look like?

A set of 4 good used PMV-107J OE sensors can be had on eBay for about $70, should the aftermarket ones fail to work at all with the Prius.

3. HEKTOR

HEKTOR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    These are called EZ sensors and look just like regular valve stems, I paid almost $270 to have them programed and installed something that I will fight to get reimbursed if all else fails. They said that they have sold these to numerous Prius owners with only one other complaint.

[​IMG]

4. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ahh, gotcha. I did some research and they are compatible. I would guess if they don't work, then the person programming doesn't know how, or the sensor(s) are bad from new.