1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Side View Mirrors with Turn Signals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mike, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mike

mike New Member

The following discription of an aftermarket attachement for the side view mirrors that includes a turn signal indicator appeared in the New York Times (internet version) car news section today. Anyone have any experience with the company? Opinion on if it would be a good modification?

IDE mirrors with lights or arrows that flash with the turn signals have drawn attention to luxury cars, trucks and S.U.V.'s in recent years, and that's exactly what they are meant to do - make them more visible when they turn or change lanes. But this feature has been available only on certain models, and aftermarket versions have required costly professional installation.
    The Turn Smart Mirror System, from Auto Care Products in San Diego, aims to change that.
    Unlike other aftermarket lighted mirrors that are designed only for certain vehicles and have wiring that demands a mechanic, the Turn Smart flashers operate on radio waves and, the maker says, can easily be added to any model. Two small wide-angle mirrors, one for the left and one for the right, attach with two-sided tape to the outer edges of the existing side mirrors. Four super-bright L.E.D.'s are embedded in each Turn Smart mirror and point outward, flashing when the turn signals are activated.
    "I just know from personal experience that on a busy freeway, especially at night when cars are merging, it's very difficult when you put your signal on to see what's going on," said Ric Perlman, the president of Auto Care.
    The Turn Smart's wide-angle mirrors also reduce blind spots, and solar panels on their housings charge the L.E.D.'s, which are controlled by a transmitter in the trunk or under a bumper.
    Turn Smart kits will sell for about $180, beginning next month. Installation is simple, requiring only an adjustable wrench and pliers, Mr. Perlman said.
    Although Auto Care Products, which started out in 1989 selling alarms for easily stolen hood ornaments, sells many of its products through catalog retailers like Brookstone and Frontgate, the mirrors will be available first on its own Web site, www.auto-care.com.

I have no connection with auto-care, just thought folks would be interested given the discussions about importing side view mirrors from Japan.

Mike.

chinarut likes this.
  2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can buy the Toyota OEM part from Carson Toyota.

3. addison1062

addison1062 New Member

I personally think side signals, whether they're on a fender or mirror should be required by law in this country.

I was changing lanes the other day and another car, who had them on the mirror was thinking the same thing. Problem was it was the same lane. I saw his mirror signal and knew exactly what he was up to and I could see that he saw mine. Wow. Two cars saved, money saved, etc. just because the manufacturers on our cars didn't want to save a couple of bucks.

I must admit that I happy to see the mirror accessory and plan to make it one of my first mods when I get my car since toyota felt like saving a couple of bucks by leaving them off since they aren't required in the US.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How exactly would you install this mirror? Is it heated too?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    these are adapters, basically. they stick on the original mirror (as the original post describes) or in the one i found, they stick on the front side of the mirror assembly.

like i said, i haven't seen any of these in person but they make it look quite simple. and it's not too expensive either. just thought it would be relevant to this thread.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohh.

Sorry, I was referring to the actual Japanese mirror replacement. I'm guessing that would be much harder to install by one's self?

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Toyota Echo Hatchback - a model not available in the United States - has them on the fender as standard equipment. The Echo Hatch is the same as the Yaris in Europe. You can view pictures of the car at:

http://www.toyota.ca

Either fender mounted or mirror mounted would be nice. I'm looking into those genuine Toyota mirror signal lights:

http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=1274

Many imports sold here, such as Subaru cars and VW/Audi cars, have either fender or mirror repeater lamps. I think they're an important safety feature.

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $399 is about right, but you have to pay shipping to your doorstep.
    The mirror assembly is about $315(depend on currency exchange) plus shipping charge to your doorstep.
    I did one for one of PC member amd I can get it one.
    Common question
    Is this heated? yes It come with wire and insturction.
    Is easy to install? No It come with all wiring but it takes good part of day.
    Is have to run wire from fender? No The wire run from fuse panel.

10. bobc

bobc New Member

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I looked at the stick on, solar powered side mirror turn signals. I think it's a great idea. My complaint, though, is that the stick on mirror covers too much of the side view mirror and replaces the "normal size" view with the convex objects-are-closer-than-they-appear" view, which I find distracting, especially since it's important to see without distortion when judging the distance of a car behind you.
    I also wonder about how the red lights blinking at you will affect your ability to see images in the mirror.

Maybe some intrepid soul will buy a set and share the results with the rest of us. Meanwhile, change lanes carefully. On more than one occasion, I've had the impulse to change lanes, but hesitated because of some "voice" saying "no", only to see someone merging into my lane or in my blind spot. There is a detailed post from some months ago about how to set your side mirrors to eliminate the blind spot.

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a question posted with the retailer about these lights. I wanted to know how they are powered, i.e., do you need to remove the door panels?
    I'll post if I get an answer back.

Otherwise, they look ok to me. Not sure if it's better to have the blinking part on the forward side of the mirror or the side the driver looks into. I think having a blinking light right next to the mirror I was trying to look through, would be distracting enough to be dangerous.