1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Sound System - It's Done!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DT's_2008_Touring, Apr 19, 2008.

1. DT's_2008_Touring

DT's_2008_Touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced the JBL system with:

JL Audio Cleansweep & SSI Module
    Alpine PDX-5 channel amp (75 rms x 4 + 300 rms)
    Boston Acoustic Pro60 speakers - front
    Boston Acoustic SX60 speakers - rear
    Alpine 10" subwoofer in fabricated box in right rear "nook"
    Sub control mounted in the front cabin under the steering column
    Dynamat Xtreme in the door speaker area
    USA Spec Toy20 unit for Ipod integration

Of course the system sounds nothing like it did before. I've had aftermarket systems in other cars, so this is nothing new, but I must say it's the nicest sounding system I've ever had. So far the Ipod integration seems really good. I can see playlists, artists, titles, etc. I haven't had enough time to really properly evaluate it, but the sound is amazing.

I had the install done at Beach Auto Sound in Huntington Beach, CA, and so far it seems they've done a fantastic job. Time will tell. They commented that they weren't thrilled with the mids from the Boston Acoustic Pro60 speakers (I didn't get most of the equipment from them, as I had thought I was going to install it with my buddy), but then said it likely will improve as the speakers "break in", as right now they're very rigid. They were super informative, helpful and straightforward.

The subwoofer looks like it was installed by the factory. Very nice looking, and also nice not to have to lose rear hatch space with a big box.

2. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

Any pics?!?

3. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Would you care to post any pictures of the finished product?

4. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I'll post pics....just gotta find my camera, lol. Hopefully today.

5. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

I am still deciding if i should with Pro vs SX60 in the front. I already have SX60 from another car i pulled out.... What are your thoughts? Im not looking for crazy system, but $ matter to certain degree.. I am looking for a very similar setup like your...

Which JL CleapSweep did you get? model #?
    How much of DynaMat did you use? trying to get enough quality so that I can give it to my installer...

6. ronen44

ronen44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Factory Sound System - Aftermarket Alternative

In the past I've been a mobile audio installer and of course upgraded most of the cars I've had. When I found my great '04 Prius last year I was quite surprised at how good the factory JBL system was. The mid and upper end is very smooth. The odd thing I was wondering about was why JBL didn't utilize all of the unused space in the bottom of the center console by mounting a sub in there? The door speakers, even though they go surprisingly deep, lose a lot of perceived low end because of decoupling from the body caused by the rubber door gasket. To round out the whole audio spectrum I purchased an I-Beam, a truly heavy duty bass shaker. Check out feeltheaudio.com to see it. I found mine thru partsexpress.com. I had a local car audio shop take out both seats to mount the I-Beam to the frame of the driver's seat, and add an amp w/crossover above the factory amp under the passenger seat. I also had them install a volume control just under the front of the driver's seat so I could match it to the various types of music I listen to. Soooo much better now! The bass from the door speakers doesn't give my ears compression fatigue anymore. I also like this approach because I wanted to keep the factory look. It's all hidden and doesn't take up any regular usable space.

7. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After listening to it quite a bit today, I've decided that I don't have enough midrange in the front Pro65 speakers. The shop told me to drive it around a week and let them know what I want tweaked. I get tons of crispness from them, but it's almost too much. Sometimes definitely needs to be adjusted. I felt very little air being moved in front of the front speaker woofer when played loudly.

I used to JL Audio Cleansweep 441dps and the CL-SSI module. I only Dynamatted the speaker area of each door. The installed said doing the entire door would help a bit, but not much.

Like I said, something in the front needs to be warmed up a bit, with more punch to the mid-range.

8. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  9. peakay

peakay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the post. i also live in the area - can you tell me how much this cost all in?

Also, do you have a cost just for the sub? I might want to just do that part. My dad had a custom subwoofer and system done for his magnum there and frankly i thought the system sounded like crap, but i know they know what they are doing.

10. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I spent about $1,200 in parts from Ebay, and about another $1,200 in labor and parts (incl. the sub, control, enclosure, usa spec) from the install place.

Sorry for slacking on the pic, I just haven't had time to take on yet.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Diamond D6s pound, to the point where I don't really need a subwoofer. You're probably driving them with the high-pass filter on the amp engaged. I'd shut it off. I drive mine full range, they pound, and I don't have door vibration problems.

12. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's great to hear...I'm supposed to stop by the shop this week and have them adjust the system, so I'll be sure to mention it. Thanks.

13. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Be careful about loud music as it will ruin your ears. I have permanent ringing in both my ears from loud "things". Its not fun listening to a constant loud riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing in your ears 24/7.

14. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pictures, Pictures, Pictures, especially the Subwoofer enclosure. :D

15. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

You probably just need to tweak the settings.. BA speakers are great unless your ears are tuned and sensitive to high end setups....

I had MB Quartz back in the days on several cars and ive tried their different models on components... then I switched to descently price Boston Acoustics.. for the money.. my ears cant tell the difference... i think "most" of it has to do with tuning.. Of course, some guys will tell me that certain speakers are night and day difference... My ears arent that developed but I do appreciate good clean aftermarket setup.:p

16. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Update: The front Boston Acoustic Pro60 speakers just aren't right for my ears. The titanium tweeters just sound to strong/harsh for me, and aren't warm enough.

I took the car back to Beach Sound Audio in Huntington Beach, and they recommended Alpine spx-17ref speakers for the front. They replaced them and it sounds much better, and a lot warmer, phew.

I can't help but give them a plug on this form as they were really helpful and accurate with their advice. And, they did not recommend products that were too expensive for what I really needed/wanted.

17. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please post pictures of the Sub Enclosure, would like to see how that looks.

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pictures please!! This is killing me.

19. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm still not happy with the sound of the system. I was listening to my friends stereo in his G35 and he has stock stereo speakers, rockford fosgate 4 channel amp, 3sixty sound processor, amp for sub, and 10" subs and it sounded *WAY* better than mine. Not so much the sub, but rather the speakers in the door. I believe his door speakers are 5-1/4. Literally zero bass is coming out of my front door speakers and they have this "mono-like" tinny sound to them. I also noticed that sounds that are supposed to come out on the right side actually come out on the left, and the opposite is true. I put in the Cleansweep calibration CD and noticed that when it says "left side, left side, right side, right side" they come out the opposite side. I'm guessing perhaps the input wires from the OEM to the JL Cleansweep are not in the right harness slots. Maybe that's screwing up the sound. It's also entirely possible that the installation center didn't calibrate it using the CD from JL Audio Cleansweep. Grrrr.....

And, I keep forgetting to get the usb transfer cable for my camera from my friend. I'll try this weekend.

20. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First let me say that I do not have a Cleansweep in my Prius; but it sounds to me like you have two things going on. Left is Right & vice-versa...that's as easy as switching one pair of RCA jacks.
    The other thing it sounds like may be going on is that your speaker leads are out of phase....i.e. you've got a + & - flip-flopped on one of the two front speakers. The result is cancellation between the two front woofers...in other words, a noticible lack of bass output.
    Make sure the + leads coming off the amp are going to the + inputs on the aftermarket speaker passive crossovers, and also ensure that the + leads coming off the crossover outputs are going to the + terminal on your mid-bass drivers.
    I'd also check the inputs coming into the Cleansweep from the JBL amp for proper phasing.