1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Stereo Answers Plz

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yes.ittransforms, Dec 26, 2008.

1. yes.ittransforms

yes.ittransforms 100K!!!!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I want to put a aftermarket stereo in my Prius (as many before me). I just want to know what I have to do to have my steering wheel controls work and my MFD as well. I have reviewed many post on here and came up with lots of yes and no's. I have a 2007 ( dont know what package) but I know it has no NAV or Bluetooth. Thanks to all for this site its a great use of the WWWeb. :D

Jonathan
    USAF

2. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume since you ask about having the steering wheel controls work you intend to replace the stock head unit. If that's the case, you (or your installer) can wire in an adapter unit that will assign the controls to the features of your choice on your new head unit. If you don't already have the head unit, you may want to review the notes for the adapter to see what head units support what functions.

In my case with a Kenwood head unit I used...

Left side: Volume Up, Volume Down, Track Up, Track Down.
    Right side: Funny looking face key is Mute, right phone is Band Up, left phone is track mode.

As for the MFD, as far as I know if you replace the head unit the MFD will not work with any aftermarket ones.

Your installer may also need to solder a resistor across a couple of wires so the MFD and car computer doesn't get upset about the missing head unit and amp, that's something the pros know about.

And, if I'd known about this before I did my system I would've given a great deal of thought to a JL Audio product that interfaces with the stock system and supposedly improves it by using equalization etc. The name escape me but any Car Audio dealer would probably know about.

Hope that helps.

3. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I installed a Pioneer GPS-DVD-XM unit from my previous car. Third car so far...
    It is a Size 1 DIN unit. No problems with the install except that not only do the steering wheel controls not function (I knew that, but), the steering wheel illumination does not work. I did install the 66 ohm resistor to keep the climate control system happy. Just wondering about the illumination problem.
    Regards, Don

4. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    tigerpilot, I just checked my steering wheel controls; they do illuminate.

5. yes.ittransforms

yes.ittransforms 100K!!!!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the help you guys and gals!!

6. ponchotempest

ponchotempest Junior Member

I was also interested in doing this, but instead I decided on an MTX ReQ5. It converts the speaker level signal from the stock stereo to RCA cables for connection to an external amp (mine's 111Wx4 rms) and upgraded speakers. There are cheaper input convertors, but I've found that the $20 inline converters introduce a good amount of noise to the signal.

I'm glad that I kept the clean look of the original stereo.

BTW, I have the 6-speaker mp3/wma cd player

7. ponchotempest

ponchotempest Junior Member

I was also interested in doing this, but instead I decided on an MTX ReQ5 (MTX re-Q Bass restoration signal processor Get full bass response when adding amps to a factory system at Crutchfield.com). It converts the speaker level signal from the stock stereo to RCA cables for connection to an external amp (mine's 111Wx4 rms) and upgraded speakers. There are cheaper input convertors, but I've found that the $20 inline converters introduce a good amount of noise to the signal.

I'm glad that I kept the clean look of the original stereo.

BTW, I have the 6-speaker mp3/wma cd player