1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Stereo = No Nav, No Energy Monitor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ubertam, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll preface this post saying that the new radio is worth losing the ancient GPS and the slow Energy Monitor. If I have to choose, it's the new radio.

I bought and installed a Pioneer MVH-P8300BT (the Parrot Bluetooth BLOWS, btw; WAY too much echo for the other party) in the stealth pocket. I'm almost done with the install. I also installed the compatible Pioneer HD Radio unit, the SWI-PS (steering wheel controls), and PAC TATO (I have the JVC audio). There are a lot of boxes and little space, so I decided to take out the CD changer, cassette player and radio...at least the bulk of it. I removed the face so it can still look natural...kind of a hidden compartment.

The sound is fantastic. I no longer have to hear the crunchie crunchie sound I got out of my piece of crap cassette adapter when I listen to my iPhone 4 (which works flawlessly over USB with this HU).

To my point, my screen doesn't show me squat now. My climate control is messed up, though I know I need to get a 68ohm resistor to fix that. My Energy Monitor is blank. My map says "The external system is not connected."

My A/C still works through the steering wheel controls, I just don't see any settings and can't control it manually (at least I'll stay warm).

Two questions:
    1. Can I get functionality back to the screen?
    2. If not, is there anything else I can do to the screen that's awesome (hook up Nintendo, put in a fish tank, use it as a permanent rear camera or multiple camera system, etc.) that will make me feel better about disabling all the cool Prius features?

In all my prep and searching I haven't seen this as a prevalent problem; maybe it's something I screwed up (did I knock a connection loose on the back of the screen, maybe? *oh I am SO checking that tomorrow!*)

2. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By the way, the Pioneer MVH-P8300BT was too wide to fit in the stealth pocket (I don't care if that's not what it's called, dammit). I had to snap off each side of the face then file down the sharp edges. It's designed like those edges were meant to be broken off. They're completely separate and snap off pretty easy, and once snapped off, it fit almost perfectly. I'm going to cut a little bit off the top of the stealth pocket, about 1/4" to make it perfect.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should've done a search for the topic of your interest. Or, better yet, quickly go through relevant threads in Gen II Prius Audio and Electronics, as there are only 17 pages as of 3/17/2011. Had you done this, you would have come across this KEY Posting, which would have answered all of your questions and given you ideas for further functionality improvement.

Do checkout the posting and you'll be amazed/impressed.

Good luck.

4. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for reading my post before assuming I didn't search, exstudent. I browsed through 17 pages and, confirming my searching, didn't find someone with the same problem as I. I have the JBL audio with Nav, which is totally unrelated to the post you recommended.

After reading some of the posts, I saw about 2 Best Kits harnesses that could splice together and still power the factory radio. I removed my radio. It no longer exists in the dash, so there's nothing to plug into. How do people get a Double-DIN unit in if they have to connect to their factory radio?

Will doing the 68ohm resistor mod make the display realize it's connected to the nav system under my seat or is the factory radio the computer?

5. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I verified this morning that all connections to the back of the display are secure. No change.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't comment on "How To," as I have not yet changed out the audio in my car, and I don't have factory Nav either.

As you found out, double DIN requires loss of factory radio. It sounds like your radio is single DIN in the factory space.

You may want to follow F8L and his install. Single DIN aftermarket radio in the small space below the factory radio. NO Nav for him, but this type of install may solve your issues, as the factory radio is still there, not used, and his MFD appears functional.

Or, if you can afford it, USBSEAWOLF2000 has the best install: Double DIN radio w/ built in NAV/DVD/Bluetooth. All of the original functionality, steering wheel controls, and MFD are maintained. He even upgraded by getting the right side steering wheel controls that comes w/ built in NAV cars, like yours, gaining: MAP, INFO, and BLUETOOTH buttons.

Good luck.

7. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did F8L's install, with my single-DIN in the stealth pocket. I took out the factory radio so there was room for all the connectors and adaptors.

PAC-TATO (JBL Amp Turn-On)
    SWI-PS (Steering Wheel Controls for Pioneer)
    GEX-P20HD (Pioneer HD Radio Tuner)

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You definitely need to install the 68ohm resistor since you are not reconnecting the factory stereo like I did. My original install used the resistors and it worked fine but I disliked having to rig the system together so when I swapped to a newer stereo I ditched the resister and plug the factory stereo back in. Because you have a JBL system I cannot say for certain the resistor will cure your problem but it is worth a shot.

I cannot remember if my screen ever went blank but I did get the climate control error as well as the orange triangle. The resistor will fix this. You may get the orange triangle but it goes away within a few miles.

Try that and report back.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ubertam

Ubertam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed the 68ohm resistor last night.

My system is now back to perfect! My Nav works, energy monitor works, climate controls work.

For anyone else's information: If you remove the factory stereo and you have the JBL system with Nav, doing the 68ohm resistor trick makes everything work, not just the climate controls. WOO HOO!

This was a fun project to do. My first experience installing car audio and a lot easier than I thought it would be.

fileaudio, mstewa21 and leosibbi like this.
  10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news and thanks for posting back with the results. I'm sure others will find this helpful. :)

11. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You say your NAV works after the resistor. I have the JBL and Nav as well and am about to install a new double din unit.

my question: Does the voice(sound) work on your navigation after your install? I've been told it wont.

and what about the bluetooth? (though this doesnt really matter to me)

12. Pggolf

Pggolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Msyewa21

Curious if what your experience was. I just bought a Kenwood kdc-x996 today and the installers did not get everything working right. No NAV, Climate, Energy. Nada. Looks like they did not use 68 Ohm resistor from what I have read. I am going back tomorrow to hopefully get it fixed. Wondering if you got everything to work like Ubertam.

fileaudio likes this.
  13. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    same problem here! new jvc nav and a/c error and no info... .I have located the two cables to put the resistor 68@

14. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    got to have that resistor. when I upgraded my '04, i bought a harness adapter which came with the resistor preinstalled. it worked great, but that car didn't have JBL. I would contact crutchfield because they most likely have any interface components you will need to get everything to work. only problem is: do they ship to mexico?

15. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Ok I am having the same problem, no Aircon controls no energy etc... What kind of resistor do I need and where to connect this resistor exactly?
    Thanks

16. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    68 ohm resistor Page 4

Attached Files:

Kiwibird likes this.
  17. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Ok i got the resistor but didn't fix the problem.. I connected Toyota radio from corolla 05, all.plugs are in along with the resistor to the pin 9 and 10 white and pink wires .. still same thing...

Attached Files: