1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Subwoofer Placement w/ JBL System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by a_gray_prius, Oct 15, 2009.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking into putting a sub in my car and I'm really not sure where I would place it so that it wouldn't take up too much space. I'm not a big fan of putting it in the trunk, and the space under the passenger side seat is taken by the amp. I would appreciate the suggestions of those who have put subs in their cars with the JBL system installed.

And yes, I did look at the other threads. I was jsut hoping to put together a good consesus on what placement is optimal both acoustically and space-wise.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably the custom fabbed rear cubby fiberglass jobs, but that's not what I'm going to do. I got one of these:

[​IMG]

But I can't yet say how well it works, mine's not set up yet! It's a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 8" sub enclosure. It just fits under the storage bin lid if you remove the speaker grill. I want to keep my speaker grill on, so I'm making a custom storage bin lid which will have a hole for the speaker.

- D

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't place the sub in the trunk area and facing backwards you will be sacrificing volume and/or sound quality. IMO leave the sub loose in a test box and listen to it in various locations. Subwoofer placement has a large impact on the overall sound and volume so choose wisely.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, for the sake of sound I'd love to leave it out, standing upright in that box but don't want to deal with having it out and in the way. This is my best compromise. Cheaper than a custom cubby fab + speaker and tucked out of the way.

- D