1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket suspension kit??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Escalade_on_22s, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Escalade_on_22s

Escalade_on_22s New Member

I am looking for a quality aftermarket performance spring/strut upgrade for my '05. I've looked everywhere, and it doesn't seem to exist. The Echo's TRD Sportivo Springs may physically fit, but "K" is too small since the Echo is so much lighter than the Prius. I've contacted a custom spring manufacturer with my specs, and he can build a spring kit that will lower 25/20 mm front/rear, but the initial expense is very high and I would hate to reinvent something that may already be available. Has anyone out there had any luck upgrading/lowering your Prius?
    Bryan

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too want to replace my stock struts/shocks with a performance model. My car has 29K on it now and the stock units are just weak. I have checked with the big names, Koni, Bilstein, etc. and none of them are doing anything for the Prius.

The TRD seems a bit pricey to me; but if it was actually a better valved/designed shock I would likely do it. Does anyone have the information comparing the dampening/rebound rates with the stock units? Then maybe........

4. Escalade_on_22s

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 5 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]235669[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the guidance... I'm impressed that someone has finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel. All of the custom machining and engineering was draining my budget.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The strange part is can't find any reference to any person who has actually modified their Prius suspension (outside the Solo2 one, and the salt flats one) in any way on the Internet.

There was a brief mention of some Sigma parts being purchased once on PriusChat, and then the person disappeared without any more information.

It would be nice if there was somebody who could relate what their experience with aftermarket springs/shocks is without/minimal other handling mods.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

On Motorweek (PBS Car Show - bit too Hi-End oriented for me!) this week they had a presentation (Goss's Garage) about variable rate and hieght air spring/struts for BMW-3 series. Thise seems to be to be a perfect fit for the Prius, as one can lower the car at higher speeds to achieve lower drag. A technically talented individual might even control the air-springs from a CAN port reading program, using speed to set the the lower height and higher spring rate.

8. Escalade_on_22s

I ordered the TRD Sportivo kit from Carson Toyota. They said it would be delivered in 6-8 weeks, so when it comes in I'll let you all know how things work out. I also ordered the JDM aero package from Sigma which supposedly comes painted (again another 6-8 weeks).

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Escalade...
    I will be looking forward to the results and the installation write-up. Please measure the height of the car before and after too. Thanks.

10. Escalade_on_22s

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 12 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]238496[/snapback]</div>
    I will... and if you know anyone wanting some 17 inch Scion rims point them in my direction :)
    Bryan