1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aged Tires: a Driving Hazard?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zenMachine, Jul 16, 2008.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Scary...

ABC News

2. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Interesting. Thank you for posting that.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    zenMachine,

By chance, did you notice at the end of the video, when the news crew is being
    sold old tires, the car they are driving is a ... Prius?

Caveat emptor! Buyer beware!

If I'm decoding the date-stamp right, a three digit code is the 1990s, a four
    digit code is the 2000s. Did I get this right?

Thanks for the heads-up.

4. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Yep.

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm watching the video and the off-screen talking heads are yammering away
    about the week-year of manufacturer and I'm trying to keep up and create an
    algorithm to decode them myself. Why can't the clowns just say, "A three digit
    code is from the 1990s, and a four digit code is from the 2000s?"

I'm sure that I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, and a whole bunch of like folks
    were probably wondering too. For a public service announcement, that's pretty dumb.

So now I'm wondering, what will the code be for the 2010s? 5 digits? Or back
    to three? Or ... what?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just another way to separate folks from their money.

Bob Wilson

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Because a 4 digit number could represent anything from just a few weeks old to over 8 years old, as of today; in which case I would not want to be buying them and putting them on the car as new. This is the whole point of the article. As rubber ages, it dries out, gets brittle and can develope cracks in the sidewalls. This will happen. How long that it takes depends on the storage conditions. You don't want to be buying 6 year old tires as new and driving on them for another 6 years, as could happen in low mileage situations. I assume 2010 will be xx10 which is why they went to 4 digits. That will work up through 2099 at which time restarting @ xx00 for 2100 should not be a problem. Although, by then, tires may be archeological relics.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very sensational.
    I have had an old tyre blow out on me, it was something like 15 years since I purchased the tyre, it was a second hand retread when I bought it for my trailer and it went out of round well before it blew out. When the tyre people saw the tyre they told me the company that retreaded the tyre had been out of business for 25 years. It is likely the tyre was over 30 years old and had done a lot of miles.

I'm not too concerned about this and I think the whole story is being sensationalised. Those treads you see on the highways are from trucks driven on flat tyres.
    The whole story seemed about manufacturers selling more new tyres to tyre dealers or maybe someone wanted some cheap tyres this week?

Old tyres do last longer as the tread does harden as it cures.

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife had a Bridgestone tire a year and a half ago and the tread completely peeled off of the Front Drivers side wheel of her Beetle at 70 MPH on the Ohio Turnpike (I-80). She was able to maintain complete control of her car and safely cross it from the middle lane to the right hand shoulder. Of course she called me to come out and put on the spare. When I picked up the wheel to put it in the trunk after I was finished the tread was completely stripped from the rest of the tire and fell the rest of the way off. I chalked that up to it being a Bridgestone combined with a little neglect.

@ PATSPARKS
    Here in the USA we never take responsibility for improper care and maintenance and blame everyone else. That guy probably had a lawsuit against the car manufacturer, the tire maker, the retail garage that sold it, the employee who mounted the wheel, and construction company who built the road.

10. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    True, most of what I see along the road looks like the retread portion of retreaded tires, usually truck tire sizes. However, I've had cars and been driving since 1957. I've seen old tires with cracks forming in their sidewalls, while the tread still looked good. I'm sure it's a combination of weather, driving habits(under unflated tires will run hot), and age. I have replaced tires because of cracking in the sidewalls when there was still tread left. I've bought retreads. I even retreaded a set of tires myself on my '53(used) Packard Clipper in the early '60's. A friend had a tool, like a soldering iron with I little "U" shaped blade. It heated up and you could cut groves your tires with it, and the threads if not careful. Oh! those innocent days. But my dad tought me not to drive with tires whose sidewalls showed signs of cracking. I'm, sure the materials in tires have come a long way since then and are less susceptable, but why take the chance. It's like buying groceries. I always try to remember to check the "sell by" or "use by" dates for the freshest product. Everything has a shelf life. Some longer than others. Either way it's good to know what it might be.

11. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I found a good description of tire date stamps at Tire Expiration Dates

The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously people, if a tyre has cracks or is distorting or delaminating change the bloody thing before it kills someone but the age of the tyre shouldn't be an issue if tyres are inspected and maintained properly. Cracks in sidewalls occur due to exposure to sun wind and rain, none of these are issues in a resellers store room normally. De-lamination is a manufacturer defect or caused by bad road surfaces or air finding its way between the layers, this only happens when the tyre is in use.

In this image you can see the tread is bulging near the guy's thumb,
    [​IMG] replace a tyre like this now, it will often make a noise.

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yup. I had to back up the video at that point to doublecheck to be sure before posting it in a Prius forum! :)

Patsparks, sensationalism is the state of journalism in the US, it's geting especially more so since the advent of Fox News. Nonetheless, the issue seems pretty serious. How do you explain the UK's law against selling tyres over six years old? (To be honest, I didn't even know that tyres had such a code to begin with.)

I definitely will do more research on this, and for sure will check my brand new OEM tyres that just got put on by the dealer last week.

14. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just checked all four tires. The Expiration Date is stamped on the outside, so no need to crawl under the car. Two of them say 1408, the other two say 1708. I'm quite relieved.

15. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all,

I just checked all 4 of my "new" tires that I just bought this May. Two of them are stamped with 1606, one says 1706, but I can't find any datecode after the mfr's # on the 4th tire. I guess I'll have to crawl under my car for that one (unless the inside of that tire is miss'g the datecode too). So mine were 2 years old already when I bought them, but they'll probably be worn out by the time they get to be 6 years old.

By the way, zen, that's the date of manufacture, NOT the expiration date.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

16. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got the feeling up to 6 years old was O.K. to buy, although you'd probably want to keep an eye on them if running them on a low annual mileage vehicle, I.E. planning to use them for another 6 years. My understanding was that you should avoid buying tires older the 6 years. Not that 6 years is hard set, just a guideline. Personnally I'll probably try to find them in within a 2 year range, not necessarily knowing under what conditions they were stored. Dry, hot weather conditions will age them more quickly than in I cool, humidity controlled environment, whether in storage or on the car.

17. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my Miata's tires 10 years ago. :eek: It's been garaged 99% and only about 20K miles since then, but I guess I ought to be shopping for new rubber soon.

18. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How do they look? Is there any signs of dry rot or cracking like in the earlier post photo's? If they they look good, just keep an eye on them and avoid any long high speed trips without checking thier condition.

19. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They look great, which I thought was fine. But the video implies that even "new" tires that have been out of the sun are dangerous if they are too old and have "dried out."

I'll have to give them a closer look, though. I figured that UV exposure was the main threat and they haven't had muich of that.

20. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What consumers need is a way to test or measure these 'aged' tires for their roadworthiness.