1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ahh vacation!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tleonhar, Apr 16, 2007.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a brutal winter and spring (work wise), it's vacation time! Assuming I make the flight (life of a non rev), it's off to the Philippines for a couple weeks. We'll spend a couple days in Manila, then it's off to our place in Leyte. 15KM from the nearest town, 5Ha of coconut, papaya, bananas, and mango, oh ya and the orchid's grow wild. See ya all in a couple weeks... :)

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drove through a blizzard, took a plane to Mexico, spent a week and a half in 80 degree weather, spening much time lying in a hammock, often with fresh tropical beverages. Now I am back in Boston but can't go home because there is a horrible storm here. I think I left Mexico too soon.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Apr 15 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]423840[/snapback]</div>
    Have fun in the Philippines!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 15 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]423892[/snapback]</div>
    It's always too soon to leave Mexico. Except the time I spent 4 1/2 years there. The last half year became annoying. Four years seemed about the right length of time to stay in Mexico.

But laying in a hammock drinking alcohol seems a dreadful waste, when there is so much to do there. But, each to his own. :)

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 16 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]423960[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't say I was drinking alcohol, because I wasn't. I was drinking fresh papaya, mango, pineapple, etc. juice where we got the fruit from the market and juiced it there.

And yeah, I got a ton of site-seeing in, but I didn't mention that because I think few would care (although I do have to give a plug for the Museo Dolores Olmedo, because it has the best collection of Frida Kahlo paintings I've ever seen, and I've been to both the Frida Kahlo museum and the Frida Kahlo/Diego Rivera museum).

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think we need a Prius meeting with you folks on vacation...sounds like fun. Does a Prius float or will I have to fly?

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 16 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]423960[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, i don't know daniel... sometimes thats exactly the type of vacation a body needs! Every year it seems i have a couple more adventurous vacations - backpacking, kayaking, etc - and a couple more relaxing vacations - like visiting my grandparents in Florida and sitting on the beach doing nothing all day. The mix seems to be good.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like I said: To each his own. On my second (and most recent) trip to Kenya, I let myself be talked into spending 3 days on Zanzabar. One day in Old Stone Town and two days at a beach resort, where there was nothing to do but sit on the beach. I was bored to tears! I went in swimming, but didn't want to spend too much time in the water because of the jellyfish. It wasn't a full alert, but it was a "watch out for them" and jellyfish frighten me. And this was before I had solved the can't-snorkel-with-glasses problem by getting contact lenses for snorkeling. I'm good for about half an hour on a beach chair before I can't stand it any more.

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My only vactions are when the Red Cross sends me to disasters. I'm thinking I might get to go back East for all the flooding. ;)

Make that vacations !!!

9. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Made the trip and had a GREAT time! But it's also good to be back. Got first class, upper deck both on the way over and back. Food was quite good in the RP, ran a test to see if it's possible to eat so many mangos that you get tired of them, the result, not possible. Philippine mangos are quite different than what is generally available in the grocery stores here, they are a bit smaller but many times sweeter and jucier than here, the skin is yellow in color as well. Took a couple side trips to see the former Clark air base now that it is no longer a US facility, they are doing wonderful things with it, turning it into a comercial airport as well as the PAF HQ. Also went to the site of the former O Donnell POW camp which is where the Bataan death march ended in WWII, it's now a national shrine and quite a sobering place to visit. I'll post a few photos as soon as the jet lag lets me get them off the camera.

No Prius in the RP though, well except for the one President Arroyo has, the Honda Civic Hybrid is available but in very limited quantities.