1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AIC-100i Warning - Killed my iPod Mini!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Half_Orc, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Half_Orc

Half_Orc New Member

*WARNING WARNING WARNING*

I just installed my AIC-100i this morning after I put everything together, I plugged my iPod mini in for a test and found that my iPod never turned on. My iPod worked yesterday night without any problems what so ever, I kept my iPod in a safe place that night and this morning, so I know it works before I tested it with the AIC-100i.

This MAY be an isolated incident, but somehow the AIC-100i short circuited my iPod mini. I even brought my iPod mini to the apple store to look at. Now I have to send it in to get it repaired for $30+ replacement.

I am sooo pisssed off. Took me forever to install the AIC-100i, and bam, killed my iPod mini. So I now have the AIC-100i that is waiting for an iPod, which will take 2 weeks at least to get it back. I am afraid to test it on another person's iPod mini.

Is the AIC-100i not compatible with iPod mini's?

I don't think anyone else had this problem except me! Eugene I have sent you an email.

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My mini, firmware 1.4, works great. What firmware were you running?

My buddy had a "dead" nano. I was able to reset it following the procedure on Apple's website. Did you follow the procedure?

Nate

3. BobR

BobR Member

I'm sorry to hear this. What Firmware is on your AIC-100i? I've used two different iPod minis with my AIC-100i with no problems.

Bob

4. Half_Orc

Half_Orc New Member

Like I said, I tried to revive my iPod with all the methods in the manual and apple.com, I even brought it to the local Apple Store.

I don't think its the firmware problem, because I bought the mini in March of this year. Its dead so I can't find out the firmware. I am not near my car, but for the AIC-100i, its the stock firmware from the 2nd group buy, just got it in the mail a few days ago, so im guessing its the latest firmware to date.

so im guessing this is dumb luck...

5. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I just installed an AIC-100i in my wife's Sienna yesterday, her iPod Mini works great, no trouble at all. The AIC-100i is an awesome device.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have a mini... use it on the aux port though...but used to use it on the AIC port before i got my other ipod.

i would have to assume that the store personnel were smart enough to attempt a reset soooo, that is a bummer. have you called VAIS yet?

hope everything works out for you. as for me, cant even begin to tell you how happy i am with mine. from all ive heard so far, VAIS is a good company to work with. let us all know what happens

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering you didn't know the firmware version, I think it's prudent for everyone to update their firmware before connecting to the aic-100i.

Nate

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the firmware on my ipod updates automatically as soon as i connect it to my laptop...isnt that how everyone does it??

i have a Mac, i would assume that windows would work the sa...

oh ya...hmmm...

there has been two firmware updates in the past 2-3 months... might want to check that

9. Half_Orc

Half_Orc New Member

Is it possible I installed the AIC-100i wrong?

I followed step by step everything, everything went flawless. Is it possible that I plugged something wrong etc. I don't think there is much variation on how to install this thing.

When I turn on the MD changer, it looks fine, it reads everything, just that I am without an iPod to test it on. My bro has an iPod, but I am not going to risk getting his busted because of the AIC-100i.

I am hoping that I had some static in me and having some other metal tools around the AIC-100i at the time that somehow was able to mesh and cause my iPod to shortfuse.

I will let you guys know what ends up happening.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you used the guide published here, i really dont see how you could have. there was an issue with some mini's failing. i dont know, anything is possible. i would pressure the apple guys to give you feedback on what happened with your mini. see if they can find out what might have caused this.

hard drives fail all the time. the tolerances they have to endure is ungodly. however, they can last a long time since the manufacturing has to be dead on. but if it was going to fail, they usually do it within the first few months. i think its a bit unfair that you are charged that much for what should only be shipping and handling. you have had it a short enough period of time that you should be well within the warantee... to be honest with ya, i have two and i have no idea what the warantee is.

11. cdweller0

cdweller0 New Member

My ipod mini has died twice to a Monster iCarPlay, this sounds just like it. Probably not a aic-100i issue. The first time, I took my mini to an apple store and the Genius there couldn't fix it and handed me a new ipod at no charge (mini was about 5 months old). My second mini died yesterday at the tender age of 1 month old, so that's not resolved yet..

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I have to say, all this discussion of problems with iPod minis (and other iPods with hard drives) makes me glad I went with the Nano, and its flash memory.

13. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since your AIC-100i is still connected, can you check the firmware version?

14. BobR

BobR Member

My wife has the first generation mini. It has died twice in under a year. Each time it had to do with connecting it to the wall charger.

It shouldn't matter, but was the car on when you plugged in the Mini?

Bob

15. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well this helps the shopping process. I am so NOT buying an iPod Mini.

16. thundermustard

thundermustard New Member

I just installed mine today and I took out my iPod Photo to try it out. But before plugging it in, I turned on the iPod and it didn't respond. Worked great this morning. Went to the Apple website and reset it and all was well.
    Lesson learned. Had I not tried to turn the iPod on first and plugged it in instead, I would have incorrectly believed that the AIC-100i did it.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont know if this will help, but if using the aux port, it doesnt charge the unit. that is the port that i use my mini on and have had no problems. (other than having to charge it which is not really a problem since it has nothing but podcasts on it so the playlist is very dynamic and needs to be updated nearly daily anyway)

but kinda wondering if the mini might fair better on the aux port because it doesnt charge... dont know... i did use the mini on the AIC port for a short period of time before getting my other ipod and had no problems. in fact the only real "problems" ive had is that i have had to reset my reg 60 GB ipod a few times.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well that is easy it is no longer available. It has be replaced by the nano.

19. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Maybe thay had too many problems with the mini and is why they replaced it with the nano. That small of a size with a hard drive may have been the problem.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well they were both at the same size and price point. no real reason to keep both