1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air America

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alnilam, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been listening to Air America for a couple of years now. Al Franken, Randi Rhodes, Mike Maloy and the others. I'm a bit to the left of center, (as evidenced by my position in the belt of Orion, pictured to the left, between Alnitak and Mintaka) but very anti-Bush, and have mixed feelings about the goings-on there. I'll give my opinions anon but would like to toss the subject to the group. You hate it, you love it, you wish it were different somehow.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

It's a proper counterbalance to the 25 years of GOP cheerleading done by so many right-wing stations. I regret it took so long for the left to find it's voice. Still, hard as they try, Air America can''t hold a candle to the right-wing propaganda machine. Lefties just aren't inheritantly as mean, amoral or disgusting as those they are trying to emulate.

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 10 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]317365[/snapback]</div>
    Rhodes does a pretty good job trying. Franken is just too smart and funny for this gig. He'll be gone when he gets bored.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Love Rhodes. I podcast her show. What I like about her is her intolerance for misinformation. When people call in with bad info, on either the left or the right, she'll call them on it. She also really does her homework and can back up what she says. I don't listen to the others much so I don't have anything to say about them one way or the other. Wasn't Mike Malloy fired from AAR?

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I heard last week on "other talk radio" that Air America was about to declare bankruptcy. Oddly the AAR web site does not mention this.

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Oct 1 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]326583[/snapback]</div>
    I think they were close to it but just dodged the bullet. Most commercial entities don't tell you their bad news. AA's flagship station in NYC just changed from a very strong one to one that barely covers the five boroughs. They talked about this like it was a step forward.

Malloy was canned, publicly as a cost-saving device in their hard times but I think he was fired because he was just too bombastic. He didn't dialog well and used bad language that wasn't particularly effective. If somebody had a different view he would go ballistic. This sounds like fun to us true believers but drives away those whom we wish to convert. He is a left wing Limbaugh, but not as well supported by staff and researchers. Calling Bush a criminal three hours a day isn't going to get us more votes, true as it may be. And that should be AA's purpose, not just a club house for lefties.

Franken will be around until he decides to run for the Senate. The program is great prelim study for him. He gets the brightest and the best of the progressives on his show because of his celebrity and he learns from them. Plus, he is sharper than a serpent's fang. He's working pretty much for free, it seems, since AA is having trouble writing paychecks.

Randi is extremely well-informed but quite repetitious. It's hard to listen to her for long, even though I agree with almost everything she says. She could use a guest or two to break up the monotony of her voice. She has cachet, as we used to say. She was in the military and this gives her standing to offset the tough guys who call in and talk like warriors but are usually chickenhawks. She doesn't take any BS and is able to communicate with those who don't approach her too arrogantly. I don't think I'd last long in a marriage with her!

I hope AA sticks around!