1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air bubbles in professional tint - opinions needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, May 30, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was riding in my backseat for the first time when I noticed several small air bubbles in the 2 rear windows. Upon close examination, it seems there is a speck of dust/dirt in the middle of each bubble. I can visibly see at least 5-7 bubbles on each back window. They are about the size of those tinyest philips screws, so quite visible from across the seats.

I think the bubbles was a result of them tinting my car when it was really dusty. Although they powerwashed the windows, I also saw them put the film on the outside glass to somehow cure it, and then they put it on the inside (and possibly transfered some dirt inside?).

Its been about a month since installation, so has had plenty of time to cure. My main concern is that it will worsen over time or ruin the integrity of the film. Is this something worth going back for? Please advise. Thanks.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all.

2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    IMO, take it back to the place where it was installed and see what they say. It's darn near impossible to get it perfect, but if the dirt is big enough to cause bubbles and there are multiples, it probably should be fixed.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Take it back. This should not happen. Will get worse over time.

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I second the above opinions. This is the 2nd car I've had tint on, and there shouldn't be any bubbles you can see across the car. If you're right up against the window, you may see very, very, very small ones, but that is normal.

They use the outside of the window to cut the film to the proper size & shape. They should have cleaned the outside window before doing this, and then clean the inside before applying it. Even if it was dusty outside, the shop should be doing their applications indoors. I would imagine any reputable shop would do it this way.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't think any visible bubble is acceptable.