1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air compressor cycling on and off

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by IndyMelissa, May 8, 2015.

1. IndyMelissa

IndyMelissa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2003 Prius, and just hit the 150,000 mile mark!
    Two years ago, my A/C button started to blink and it stopped blowing cool air. We recharged it and had no issues. Last year, around the end of August on a 3 hour trip north, the button started to blink and the a/c stopped producing cool air. I tried to recharge it on the fly, but it didn't really take. The compressor would turn on and 3 seconds later turn off, and it just kept cycling like that. I tried the A/C diagnostic, but it didn't turn up any codes (it was just a steady blinking light).
    Since it's getting warmer we decided to drain the whole system and recharge it making sure we were at the proper levels and pressure. This was a few weeks ago, and it seemed to be working decently. The a/c light was no longer off or blinking. I noticed today though that while idling (parked in a lot before turning the car off), the compressor was cycling (the a/c light was solid green however and air decently cool with A/C and recirculate buttons engaged). Thoughts?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's supposed to be certain amount of oil in the lines, as well as Freon (specific type). Maybe with the leaking and replenishing (with Freon only?) the oil got too depleted? Really just guessing. At this juncture: have the sytem checked out by pros? I'd guess then need to start fresh, check for and fix leaks, evacuate it , and recharge with measured amounts of oil and correct Freon type.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hold on, hold on ... you say that now it seems to be decently cool, not blinking, working ok, right?

It absolutely should be cycling, except for maybe the baddest days in August when it has to run flat out. Does your handle mean you're in Indy? It's 84°, cloudy, and 43% humidity today. If it were not cycling today, but had to run flat out, that would mean you had a problem. :)

-Chap

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Taking the time to read OP's posting more carefully, I have not idea what I'm talking about. :oops:

5. IndyMelissa

IndyMelissa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For just 2-3 seconds at a time? It sounds like it's trying to turn on but doesn't catch. I mean if that's what it's suppose to do..awesome.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, what do you see it do if you have all the car doors open, A/C and MAX buttons pushed, fan knob turned all the way right, and temp knob turned all the way left?

Also, under those conditions, what do you see in the sight glass built into the liquid tube (under the hood near the front)? What does it show when the compressor is running, and what does it show right when the compressor stops?

These are from a nice set of qualitative tests you can find on page AC-3 in your service manual on techinfo.toyota.com (at least AC-3 is the page in my 2001 manual, maybe pages change a little in 2003). They're easy and don't require anything more than setting controls a certain way, watching the sight glass, and feeling some tubes. If you have a manifold gauge set there are more in-depth tests you could do on pages AC-4 through AC-8. But the simple ones will probably be all you need to decide whether there's a problem.

-Chap