1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air compressor recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ghirl, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ghirl

ghirl Junior Member

I just received from ebay a damaged 2 in 1 jump starter/260 psi air compressor jumpstart. I am returning it and want to start over. Can someone recommend a good air compressor that I can use in my driveway that has an electric outlet right next to the house. I assume the 12v type that plug into the outlet in the car would not be as powerful and quick as the type that plug into an eletric outlet. But if there is a good reason to go with that type let me know.

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Well, the obvious advantage of the 12V unit is you can take it with you! I use a 12V compressor I bought at Costco on my Audi A8, which has waaay bigger tires than the Prius. It works fine.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The 12-volt I got for my last car is very fast. It's especially useful if you get a flat and find your spare is low.

My father has a regular compressor with a long hose so I use that more often.

4. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd almost say, get any one. Go to your local hardware store and get one for under one-hundred dollars. You can get extras like duel pressure monitors but you can always adjust the tires after you fill up.

I bought an air compressor for my airbrush...yes, I'm a geek, I still build models, and I use it all the time and it works fine...$59 at Home Depot. It comes with attachments to inflate tires.

5. Rocketeir

Rocketeir New Member

I paid about $35 for a Campbell Housefield rechargeable unit with a 12 volt outlet and a light built in. It has a auto off function, meaning that you set the pressure on the dial and it shuts off when it reaches the setting. I was a bit leery, but my digtal gage matched the final pressure, so it worked. I store it in the rear storage area and will be able to use it anywhere, regardless of 120 volt power source.

I would recommend this one.

Steve

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought that particulat compressor and found it too complicated to run. The problem with 12V portables is they are too weak, allright for emergencys. I keep one in the car anyway. However that same company has a small compressor that works off of 120V, that is very fast. I keep it in the garage and always check my pressures there. Can be bought at Walmart, I think I paid about $30-40 for it.

7. ghirl

ghirl Junior Member

Thanks I just purchased the 120v compressor from Campbell Hausfeld direct for 39 + SH, total 47.83. If anyone else is interested in this plug in compressor the model # is RP4000 (Campbell-Hausfeld 120V ELECTRIC INFLATOR) and you can order directly from Campbell Hausfeld at 1-866CHPower.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my air compressor i use for my Prius (have had to use it a lot lately...) is a 12 volt jobbie and works fine...not sure what the make was... got it at a discount store for like $10 i think. its slow... but only have one tire that leaks. caught a nail in it last year and the plug is starting to leak so while the tire is filling, i go around and check the other 3 (although ive yet to add any air to any of them)

i think you need to get portability...its not like you dont have enough juice.. :)

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid