1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioner Compressor for 2011 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Laurie Bergeson, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Laurie Bergeson

Laurie Bergeson New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone have any good news on replacing the air conditioning compressor other than the $3000 I am looking at???? I read here that one Toyota service advisor had offered to replace the compressor part because it was a design flaw in the fins being aluminum instead of stainless steel. The guy told the customer that Toyota CARES about their customers? I have bought 3 Priuses. I contacted the Burnsville MN dealership, they said nope.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can call toyota corp customer care ( number in your o/m) and ask for goodwill warranty help

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would also look around for a/c shops that are qualified to work on high voltage hvac for analysis and repair

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    LKQ has two 2010s and a 2011 Prius the air conditioning compressors are $65 One is hanging in the car One is laying on the back seat I believe I believe at the time of accidents or any of that nonsense everything on these cars look to be working I couldn't guarantee that I've had no trouble buying air conditioning compressors from salvage yards putting them on a Prius plugging them up vacuuming them down and gassing them up and they've been ice cold I haven't gotten a bad one yet I wouldn't even entertain a discussion about $3,000 compressor that's what I have in the whole car so that will never happen. So look around talk to some smaller shops this is AC work that says nothing to do with the hybrid mess take the plug out of the battery in the back on both the compressor both the new one on etc etc pretty much the monkey at the aamco transmission shop could do it it is that simple now sucking it down and gassing it up maybe a little much for a lot of folks. But I can oversee my daughter changing the compressor and bolting it up and plugging it up. I wouldn't be looking to Toyota to do much of anything they've become to Americanized in the 40 years I've been with them so you might get them to do something but more than likely not The used parts are out there and they're too cheap you can do all of this for $500 if you really shop around find somebody that halfway knows what they're doing it'll come to your house and change the compressor it's maybe an hour and a half job or something it really isn't bad Good luck

mypriuscious likes this.