1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioner Drain Line Clogged ~Fix!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mylar, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Air Conditioner condensation drain line recently became clogged on my 2006 Prius after changing the cabin air filter at 60K miles. I bought the car factory certified from a Toyota dealership with 55k miles on it. I decided to change the filter and discovered it had never been changed before. Not sure why it wasn't changed on a Toyota Certified used car? Some of the debris on the filter must have fallen into the AC system upon removal. Water backed up into the cabin saturating both driver and passenger sides of the floor. This is how I fixed the problem:

1.) I hooked up a Shop Vac to the Air Conditioner Condensation drain line and sucked the clog out. I have read where other have blown compressed air into the line, but unless the debris is removed it may become clogged again.

2.) I removed the carpet and floor board pads and washed the floor boards with a warm water / bleach mix. I then set the carpet out in the sun to dry. I used paper towels to pick up as much water as possible. I then sprayed the carpet padding with the water / bleach mixture to kill the mold and let it sun dry. Below are pictures of what my Prius looked like with the carpet removed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'd like to thank Steve of AutoBeYours.com for selling me a set of replacement floor board pads for this job.

Mylar

4 people like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice work. I'm just wondering how you decided the cabin air filter had never been previously changed.

3. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It was extremely dirty and contained debris such as pine needles and maple seeds and leaves on top of the filter when it was pulled. It definately wasn't pulled and changed prior to buying the car and I can't find a service order for the Cabin Air Filter being changed in the Toyota Service Log for my vehicle. The previous owner had used Toyota Dealerships exclusively for car maintainance.

Mylar

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Show the filter to the dealer who sold you the car. Ask them what else they missed when they "certified" it.

MyBoyBlu likes this.
  5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, look at all the cargo capacity in the Prius!! :)

I agree with Richard, one has to wonder what sort of job they did if they din't even replace the cabin filter. Easy to get to and only $20 (our cost not theirs). I'd find out which dealers the prior owner used and not visit them nor the dealer that sold you the car for service. Clearly these places aren't reliable.

6. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I once had a customer who stated her foot got wet when she turned a corner!
    The problem was that insects ( mud dobber wasps) had plugged the A/C drain hose outlet.

the cure ( and preventative maintenance) is to examine the black hose under the car when changing the oil. verifying that is is clear.
    it is located near the passenger footwell.

1 person likes this.