1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air conditioner: how to get fresh air into the car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by avboone, Jun 11, 2005.

1. avboone

avboone New Member

[font=Arial:a12b55d144]

I have a 2004 Prius, and I'm still not sure about the air conditioner. On my old Corolla (1988), I was able to simply get fresh air if I so chose OR I could opt for air conditioning (which always worked, perfectly). On my Prius, everytime I turn on the fan (at any level), the air conditioner is on. How, short of opening the windows, do I get fresh air into the car?

Thanks for your help!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just turn the A/C off. You can leave it in AUTO or manually adjust it but A/C is controlled via the A/C button on the screen. Oh, and make sure it's not in recirc =)

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: air conditioner

A little hint to our new Prius owners: when the "Auto" mode selects Recirculation, you'll see the icon on the dash. You can also press the recirculation button on the steering wheel to turn the fresh air back on.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

Re: air conditioner

Yes, but if I just want fresh air without the fan going, is there any way of getting it other than twiddling with the temperature knob until the fan shuts off, or opening the windows???

On my old Corolla, I could just choose the vent setting, with fan off, and I'd get whatever air came through the intake (so basically, the faster the car was going, the more outside air you'd get).. Often, whatever came through the intake was sufficient without the extra noise of the fan going.. It would be nice if you could get this on the Prius as well.. Maybe I'll have to look into fiddling with the ducts and servos in the HVAC system...

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

There isn't enough air movement for my tastes. With no fan, it's almost non-existent. When set on Auto, it seems to run the fan more slowly than I (or my rear-seat passengers) would like, so I often manually set the fan higher.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it :oops:

Hmm, well turning the system off would do that but it'll depend how much air actually blows through. Other than that, there's not much you can do. That's why I like a moonroof to tilt open or slide

7. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My understanding is that even with recirculate off, most of the air in the Prius is still recirculated. This is done for energy conservation and is actually a pretty good idea. Subsequently though, if the fan is off, very little air will come into the car on it's own. I'd recommend turning the system on AUTO and then turning off the A/C button. The system should then change the fan speed to try to maintain the temperature setpoint. If you'd prefer that the fan stay at a constant speed, press the desired fan speed button and the system will discontinue trying to regulate it (the AUTO A/C light should also go out on the dash).

If you like this arrangement, you can have your dealership change the car's settings with their hand scanner so that the air conditioner will not automatically come on when the AUTO A/C button is pressed. You can still operate the air conditioning, but you have to go to the CLIMATE screen and press the A/C button to turn it on.

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. prius04

prius04 New Member

seasalsa ,

Thanks a cool link. Thanks.

And I'm sure that link makes this point below but here goes.

The Prius has an automatic temperature controlled air conditioner system. Set the temp and the system does it all.

But it also has a totally manual override system. Shut off the automatic control and then set the fan and where you want the air to go. You can set the recirc manually as well. You can also have the AC on manually.

So the Prius has a fancy temp controlled AC, and it also has the same AC as a Corrola.

It's got both.

10. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, let's start by having you in your Prius with it in Ready mode. Now, switch to the climate control screen. For the purposes of this process, make sure that the auto a/c light is visible on the dash. Next, press the fan off button, that can also be accomplished by pressing the auto a/c button the the steering wheel until the auto a/c light on the dash is no longer illuminated.

Now, with the climate screen visible, you will notice that most of the buttons. are off, except for the ones which select where airflow is supposed to go. Press the button for which vents you wish to be used and drive.

That is your fresh air mode with no fan circulation.

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Follow Jeromep's instruction... I know it works... how? Because I can smell the cow dung when I have just the vent in the open position.

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I thought I'd add this. If you want no air movement in the cabin at all. turn off the A/C as I had mentioned above, then press the recirc button on the wheel or on the A/C screen.

13. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    'Sorry to be dense, but I am a newbie and I am not sure I am understanding how to get fresh outside air using just the fan. Let's say it is 59 degrees outside and that's what I want flowing into my car. I think the temp guage on my 2008 Prius only goes down to around 60 degrees, so even though I've hit the "OFF" switch, I feel like it is still blowing warm air in through the vents. Am I just getting warm air from the engine? I would have the outside setting on in this example. I just want the outside air temp to be what flows into the car. No heat or a/c. Thanks.

14. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    set it to max cold with the ac disabled.

15. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You mean other than moving away from California? :D Sorry, had to throw that in. I was just wondering when I read your post, has your air filter been changed recently?