1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioner is dead-- could it be because I just had both batteries replaced?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ElizaDay, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Remember me? I posted here about three weeks ago. I had a dead main battery and auxiliary battery and Toyota wanted 5k for it. Well, I ended up getting both replaced and now the A/C is dead. It's not just dead in the sense that it's blowing out warm air. It's dead meaning that it won't run at all.

Any idea if this could be tied into the whole battery drama? Anybody have a clue what a new A/C for a classic Prius goes for?

Any advice is always appreciated.

And thanks for getting me through the last Prius episode. It helped. The car has been wonderful to me for the first two years and then boom! problems, problems, problems!

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, *both* batteries?? That's pretty hairy. But batteries
    shouldn't affect the A/C in an '01 since it still runs on a belt
    from the engine. Unless they just screwed up the wiring to it
    in the process of doing the other work...
    _H*

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, I assume you mean no fan and that includes if you try to use the heater?

First, check the fuses.

Bob Wilson

4. ElizaDay

ElizaDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No fan. No heat. Nothing. It's completely dead.

According to Toyota it was both batteries. Who knows. As someone said to me: when a mechanic sees a woman in a prius, they see dollar signs.

Fortunately, I went to Toyota and they cut me a deal and it only set me back $1300 (instead of the 5k my local Toyota wanted).

How do I check the fuses? I'm mechanically illiterate (sorry).

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Eliza...,

The bad fan motor could be the reason the small battery died. A partial short (short in one of the several windings) in the fan motor would cause excessive current draw, that would go unnoticed if the motor started each time. If the fan stops on that bad winding, which is like a dice roll, then when it starts back up it will be stuck. And all that current going through the motor commutator (due to the short in the winding) might cause the comutator to stick permanently in that shorted position. And also blow the fuse to the motor.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Eliza,

If the cabin air blower is not working, then one or more of the following components is having a problem:

50A HTR fuse
    HTR relay
    Blower motor
    Blower motor controller
    A/C amplifier

It would be reasonable to ask your dealer's service dept for assistance. The traction battery replacement is unrelated to the air conditioner failure.