1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioner Problems AFTER 30k Service???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bixie, Aug 19, 2010.

1. bixie

bixie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. Back with a new and different issue. I got my LAST service under warranty just a month ago... approx July 15. That was just before my warranty expired, as of July 31.

Unfortunately, just days before the 31st, I started noticing my AC wasn't working as well. However, I thought it might 'just be me' because I've had some lots of health issues lately and sometimes my system is off. I can feel cool at 90 degrees or hot at 70. Anyway, I didn't tell Toyota anything. However, now it's SWELTERINGLY hot in the LA area and I am getting NOTHING from my AC the last few days.

First, is it possible that this has anything to do with the service they performed? I know they did the oil change, cabin air, and not sure what all else...

Secondarily, do you think that it could just be timing and I am out of the freon stuff, whatever it is called now? If so, how easy would it be for someone who is seriously gimped up with health issues to take care of this on her own? I have a degenerative spinal condition that causes severe pain, as well as hormone issues, thus my temperature regulation issues, as noted above.

Note: I do use the AC an awful lot, when I am actually using the car. Having my Prius since July 2006, it has just over 30k, so it's not like I am a big-time driver...

If it's neither of these is the issue, how likely would it be that Toyo would extend the warranty, given the circumstances? If my health was better, I would've marched in there on July 31, no doubt about it. But, it's just not an easy thing for me to do :( Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks all!!
    I love PriusChat & all your expert advice!

Bixie
    Proudly Prius
    :cheer2:

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could try talking to your dealer, or writing them a letter, or even Toyota to see if they will lend a helping hand.

You should't try to add freon yourself. If it needs it that means it leaked out and will leak again.
    Sorry i couldn't be more helpfull. Good luck to you

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get thee to a dealer ASAP and they may take pity.

As to being related to the recent service: probably not, it's probably co-incidence; but it's possible to break anything...

Note that a special non-hydroscopic non-conductive oil must be used with any added refrigerant. Typical refrigerant oil will destroy the compressor. Independent shops may not know this; or they may know but inadvertently contaminate the system by using the same refrigerant recovery and fill machine for all types.

4. bixie

bixie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wellllll, the dealer didn't take any pity and was reallllly quite awful. I hope you will read my newest post and GIVE ME SOME ADVICE, I'm totally at a loss --- cannot link to my new post as I am still too new. But, please HELP :) Thanks so much, Bixie