1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioner Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sem48, Sep 27, 2007.

1. sem48

sem48 New Member

This summer has been sunny and hot. When I go on long highway trips (50+ miles) I like to keep the windows closed so I can hear the radio or listen to audio books. But even with the AC on, the temp setting at Max Cool, and the fan on relatively high, the interior of my 2005 Prius gets incredibly hot.

Other than opening the windows, is there something I can do about this? Is this likely to be caused by something in the car, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

SEM

2. Tojo

Tojo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not sure about an '05, but I got my '07 in the heat of summer in Az. where the temps get near 120. My AC performed very well (which was something I was concerned about and was watching very closely.) I woult take it to a dealer and have it looked at. If something is wrong, better to find out early before any possbile damage to other components is caused (if there is something serious wrong.)

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you haven't had any problems with it prior to this, it may be time to have the A/C recharged (or whatever the technical term is). Other possible problems (cabin filter, holes in the compressor) are detailed in this thread: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=36770

Good luck!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Time for a service call.

Tom

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Didn't you read the responses which were posted after you asked the same question, yesterday, in this thread?

6. b2nsx

b2nsx New Member

I had this same problem. It just needed to be recharged. It cost less than $200 and I was on the road to coolness again!

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(b2nsx @ Sep 28 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]518875[/snapback]</div>
    The old stuff can only have leaked out through a hole, possibly caused by some road damage. The '04 and later AC system is completely sealed so the coolant cannot leak out in normal use. Did they find and repair the leak? If not it will fail again.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [frickin' IPS software]

9. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "recharging" an AC is NOT nessary unless you have a LEAK. Compare it to putting more air in a leaking tire. You'll keep wasting money "recharging" it if it still leaks.