1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air conditioner spins fans faster and slower in cycle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sannankhalid, Aug 11, 2020.

1. sannankhalid

sannankhalid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello there,

It's my first post on PriusChat, I have prius 2007 gen 2, japanese variant and I am facing an issue, when I turn on the Air Conditioner after few seconds, fans at front side under hood, spins faster than normal for just couple of seconds, then it spins slower for 2-3 seconds and its cycling in this manner, unless I turn off AC, in fuse box I noticed, P CON MTR relay turn's off and on, I changed this relay as-well, but its not worth it. I have recently changed the Evaporator core. The Coolant pressure is in normal range aswell according to the AC mechanic.

My secondary battery specs look good which is 12.6 v without load and 12.2 v with load. I am uploading video as-well please take a look(watch it from 0:18 sec to ownards), its a youtube link

I am living in Lahore Pakistan, this week's humidity is around 65%-79%, temp 34-45 degree celsius.

IMG20200808155439.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if this behavior started after the ac system was rebuilt I would think a reasonable assumption is the car does not have the proper refrigerant level. There is a ac refrigerant level switch on the side of the front condenser that monitors charge level. It may be cycling on and off. Thats switch must be closed for the fan to reach the fast ac speed. You can check that by bypassing that switch but cutting its wires and shorting them together.

Do not continue to use this ac system till that is checked if you run the compressor with a low charge it can damage it. Your mechanic may have used the wrong refrigerant you must use ND11 only. Anything else may damage the ac compressor and short it out it uses ac high voltage.

Sorry your still having issue the ecoil replacement is very very difficult.

use the search forum tab up top and start reading. use search works ac system or compressor. Hundreds of ac threads on this site.