1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sem48, Sep 26, 2007.

1. sem48

sem48 New Member

This past summer my wife and I found ourselves sweltering in our 2005 Prius when we would go for long (1 hr or more) drives on hot sunny days. We would put the AC on "max cold" and crank up the fan, and close the windows -- for a short while the interior would be ok, then the inside temperature would begin to climb, and climb.

Other than re-open the windows (which means we can't talk or listen to the radio over the wind noise), is there anything we can do to improve the situation? Is our problem likely to be something wrong with the car, or are we not making the correct adjustments?

Thanks.

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you had the AC serviced? My 06 ran fine through several 100+ days here in LA this summer. I actually saw very little dip in MPGs, in 99% highway driving. Time to get it checked out, the AC should cool fine if it is working properly. Also, on a really hot day turn off the recirc, and don't try to cool incoming hot air.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    might be something wrong with the A/C? If it can't maintain a temperature at MAX COLD, there's something wrong. I've never dropped it below 22°C on a consistent basis cause it's too cold for me (even in 28°C+ weather!). I have used MAX COLD before when it was parked out in the sun for 3-4 hours in 31°C weather and it took a while to cool but other than that, no issues.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There must be something wrong with the A/C. Even when we had the 95-100 F days back in July, with humidity 50-70%, the A/C had no problem maintaining whatever temperature I wanted. A huge advantage to the electric compressor is if you're stuck in traffic, the A/C will remain ice cold the entire time.

The Prius condenser appears prone to damage from road debris, such as pebbles or rocks. If you search the site, you will discover a few cases of condenser failure due to road debris. I fashioned a rock guard out of that black plastic gutter guard stuff from Home Depot, and have found small rocks stuck in it.

Get the system pressure checked.

5. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Even with some of the hottest days around here my A/C has no problem cooling after the first 5 minutes or so pushing the hottest air out through the rear windows. Sounds like it needs servicing. You can buy a small round thermometer with a 5 inch probe on it to stick into the vent space (can't remember what it's called). It will show the temp of the air being discharged from the vent. Should read 60 degrees or less. Reaction time is quite fast.

And welcome to Priuschat! Will you being stopping by the Altwheels festival hybrid-electric booth on Friday or Saturday? If so be sure and introduce yourself. We'd love to meet you, and anyone else local that can make it too!

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I leave mine on Auto A/C and use the temperature control on the steering wheel. Adjusting the temp up or down as indicated by the numbers on the MFD keeps me cool even in the extreme temps. I even installed a Temp Gauge in the cockpit so I could see the interior temp. Of course a leak of the coolant could be the problem.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SEM @ Sep 26 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]518014[/snapback]</div>
    There have been several similar reports that ended in finding that a rock had damaged the condenser. Have it checked out.