1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioning and Humming?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pesadilla143, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Pesadilla143

Pesadilla143 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When my AC turns on or changes speed - a humming sound occurs. It only lasts for about 1 - 2 seconds.

Is this normal:confused:

It sounds similar (higher pitched, but not as loud) to the humming you hear when you turn the vehicle off.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Without hearing it I can't comment exactly. What I would say is that the a/c on the gen2 and gen 3 Prius is driven electrically and not via a belt from the engine as on a 'normal' car.

On a hot day and when the a/c is under a high initial load it gives out quite a loud electrical humming noise. This sounds quite alarming when you first hear it and I took mine to the dealers to get it checked out the first time I heard it. However, it is completely normal.

Apparantly the a/c draws something like 4kw from the HV battery under full load.

I'm guessing you didn't have the car last summer and you've just had a hot day?