1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioning conked out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chayashida, Nov 16, 2007.

1. chayashida

chayashida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my air conditioning stopped working yesterday. I had sort of forgotten about getting the extended warranty, and it's too late. I already have 45K+ on the car, and it's barely over a year old. I tend to put 30K+ on a car a year, so I wasn't sure that the extended warranty would be worth it.

Anyway, the car's at the dealer now, and they're checking the A/C for leaks. Just checking is $230. Hopefully they don't have to replace the air conditioning compressor. I didn't realize until searching on here that a new air conditioning compressor would be $1300.

Words of sympathy and donations can be via PM. :)

Chris

2. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Hayashida @ Nov 16 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]540704[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you get a 3 year warranty over there?

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Nov 16 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]540718[/snapback]</div>
    He has 45k miles, not km. The basic warranty is 3yrs/36,000 miles here.

4. chayashida

chayashida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 16 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]540750[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I keep forgetting about the international audience. Yes, I just went over 45K miles. I got the news from the dealer. An alignment shim was kicked up by another car and dented the compressor. I need a new one, and it's going to cost $1080.

At least it's nothing that I did, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I remember hearing it, actually. There was a large "bang" as something hit the front of the car (in LA, you duck, because it's usually gunfire. :)) but when I looked at the car later, I couldn't see any damage. I guess I know what it was now.

I think I might shop around a bit. Unfortunately, in Southern California, sometimes you even need A/C in the winter.

Chris

5. mcpagano

mcpagano New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Hayashida @ Nov 17 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]541009[/snapback]</div>
    Chris,

I think this might be covered under your insurance policy if you have collision insurance. My daughter's car was previously hit with part of a tire that came off a truck. The insurance company said that as long as the tire hit her car in the air rather than her running over the tire it was covered. The adjuster agreed after looking at the damage.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psu77 @ Nov 17 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]541018[/snapback]</div>
    Slight correction. This should be covered by the comprehensive portion of the policy; it is no different than a windshield that needs to be replaced after being hit by road debris.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 17 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]541024[/snapback]</div>
    That is correct; I lost my AC condensor when it was struck by some small object while driving. The insurance covered it under comprehensive just like a windshield loss. Cost me $100, Toyota bill was like (1K). I installed a screen in front of the condensor right after that to prevent future problems.