1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioning failure!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by benlenz, Jul 30, 2007.

1. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

Sunday, my air conditioner (the cooling part) just stopped working. I got in and started driving, hit the A/C Auto button and got only hot air. Everything was 100% fine the day before.

So, the fan works. Which means it's most likely the compressor. I have noticed that when I turn it on, I don't hear the usual "jet engine startup" noise (like a rising pitch whine) I usually hear. What I do hear is like a rapid "tap-tap-tap-tap-tap" and then nothing, and then the tapping again.

To me it sounds like the compressor drive motor ain't drivin'. Or the compressor is seized.

Thankfully it's still under warranty. :D

I guess I'm wondering if maybe with all the prius's complexity, there's like a reset button I need to press and the whole thing is fine again. Anyone know that button?

Thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the POWER button? lol.

Hmm, I don't know. Hopefully it's nothing too major.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like several other reported instances of a rock knocking a hole in the AC condenser. That's a road hazard and not a warranty event.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Jul 30 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]487769[/snapback]</div>
    The most commonly reported cause of air-conditioning failure is road debris damage to the condenser which results in loss of refrigerant. That, unfortunately, is not covered by the warranty but may be by your car insurance.

5. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 30 2007, 10:33 PM) [snapback]487788[/snapback]</div>
    Has anyone successfully protected the condenser? I worry about stuff like this...

6. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 30 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]487788[/snapback]</div>

Uh oh.

I have the extended warranty. Does that help?

7. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the exact opposite problem. Yesterday, my a/c fan stopped working. I have checked the fuses...that one under the dash is a real trick.

I know the cooling system works, because when I let air flow through, cool air flows (slowly) from the vent.

I couldn't get an appointment today, so tomorrow will be the day to learn if it is a serious problem.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Jul 31 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]487901[/snapback]</div>
    No. Do you have comprehensive coverage as part of you car insurance policy? That would cover it.

9. exito3

exito3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Jul 30 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]487769[/snapback]</div>
    BTW. Did you had it fixed? What was the problem? I have the same problem

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Malarkey @ Jul 30 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]487807[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I made a screen out of that black plastic gutter guard you apply to your eavestrough to keep the leaves out. Since I'm always finding small rocks embedded in the gutter guard, it must be working fine. This has been covered before, but the following photos will assist you

Attached Files:

Prius_Angie likes this.