1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air conditioning filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spiderman, Jul 28, 2009.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since my son has asthma, this feature interests me a great deal.

Is the outside are always filtered through the filter? After reading the section in the Owners Manual about the Micro dust and pollen filter, I get the impression that this is not the case. Only when the button is pressed and then that only operates for up to three minutes. When it turns off, does that mean the cab is exposed to the unfiltered outside air? Very confusing.

Any input would be appreciated,
    Peter

2. Walter L

Walter L New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, even if it worked all the time, it still wouldn't work because of the difference in air pressure -- and the only way I know to keep the pressure on the inside higher than the outside is to have the heat turned up high. This is the same principle that keeps the dust out of a car on the backroads (as the interior is not a sealed compartment)
    W

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In addition to the micro dust and pollin filter there is a normal ventilation filter that filters all the time. I don't have my car yet so I can't check but I think it is behind the glove boxes and fairly easy to get at. At least that's where it was with the Gen2 and someone said this one is in the same place.

Here is a Gen2 thread you might want to read: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-.../18551-check-your-cabin-air-filter-today.html

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's in the same location in the 2010 Prius.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So the cab air is always filtered? And the pollen/dust filter is in fact the filter behind the glove box. So why have a special button that opperates up to three minutes to clean the air? Something is missing here.

Peter

6. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is great as I have just finished reading my manual and this is one burning question I have. What is the purpose of the special 3 minute filter? Is it a 2nd more thorough level of filtering of cabin air? If so, where is that filter located at? I appreciate any more details anyone has.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good question--the micro dust and pollen filter location and maintenance schedule are not addressed in the manual.

The owners manual refers to the filter behind the lower glove box as the air conditioning filter:
    The air conditioning filter must be cleaned or changed regularly to maintain air conditioning efficiency.

I suspect this filters the cabin air as it recirculates through the A/C system, and is separate from the micro dust and pollen filter.

8. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

PriusTeam, can you help us out here? Thanks.

9. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same button/filter on a Lexus IS, and it's equally obscure:
    Outside air mode switches to
    (recirculated air) mode. Pollen
    is removed from the air and the
    air flows to the upper part of the
    body.
    As a practical matter on the Lexus, in operation it does really kill any foul odors from outside, and does run for only the 3 minutes. I expect it may be a charcoal filter that functions like one I had in a MB, an activated charcoal filter that deals with organic odors better. The basic filter is dealing with all the outdoor dust and pollen, while this only is pulling recirculated (or at least mostly recirculated) air so it probably is a lot more dense. I've used the one on the IS occasionally and it does make a difference if my hay fever is especially bad. Why no maintenance? Maybe because of the limited use?

10. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    any chance the manual is referring to the plasma ionizer on package 4/5?

11. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nope. Manual clearly discusses each seperately (package IV here). The manual is quite vague about what the super filter does, other than the 3 minutes and claims about pollen. Haven't seen anything about maintenance or where it might be, but have not read the maintenance book fully yet either.

12. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's the Plasmacluster ionizer which just works with no controls or adjustments available, but then there's a button that claims to be some sort of pollen filter button. When you press it, it lights up for about 3 minutes, and I think the auto button goes out, and it switches from fresh to recirc if it needs to.

And I've read the manual cover to cover and know nothing more about that thing.

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's what the manual says:

Micro dust and pollen filter
    Press .
    Outside air mode switches to recirculated air mode. Pollen is removed from the air and the air flows to the upper part of the body.
    Usually the system will turn off automatically approximately 3 minutes later.
    To stop the operation, press again.

14. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Japan, it is being called a hay-fever prevention feature.
    Pollen is a serious issue here (almost everyone is allergic), so the feature is marketed as a way to clean/purify the cabin air and remove most of the pollen inside the car. If you turn it on, then switch back to outside air, I don`t think it will give much advantage. I have heard it`s a great feature though if you are only using cabin air and can filter very well. It will also filter most exhaust and pollution particles out of the air... Although it will have very limited use if you use the outdoor air. 3 minutes is enough to clean almost all the air inside the cabin. It will stay fairly clean until you open something if you are only recirculating.

My son has lung issues, so we hardly EVER use the outside air intake (when on mountain roads or no other cars on a country road is about the only time).
    On our current car (Prius is on order) we had a filter installed by the dealer that does pretty much the same thing. I was pretty happy to see we wouldn`t have to have something extra added.

1 person likes this.
  15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Excerpt from the tech info on the AC system:

So, basically, the micro dust/pollen filter button forces the system to go into recirc mode for 3 minutes (or 1 minute, as mentioned above). There is only one clean air filter, located behind the lower glove box (I think there is a sticker on the inside of the door explaining how to access the filter).

As mentioned, the Plasmacluster (only available on Gen III models IV and V) is a separate system that is always in operation when the AC system is on, and is located in the driver-side vent.

Hope this helps! :)

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not really. So to you, does that mean the outside air runs through the filter or not? In our Kia Sedona, the outside air is always ran through the filter.

17. etdweasel

etdweasel Junior Member

Yes, outside air ALWAYS runs through the filter.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, great than why have a special button (that stays on for three minutes) to clean the air?

19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    ALL air (both outside and recirc) runs through the filter. Apparently, the micro filter/pollen button is there to remove particulates in recirc mode should any of the windows be opened, say, to pay a toll, and you then want to de-pollenize the cabin air once the windows are shut.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (until proven otherwise :))

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's as good a story as any. I thought maybe it was because they had an extra button and they wanted to make it do something that sounded neat. :D