1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Conditioning Works Intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sdtravelin, May 20, 2010.

1. sdtravelin

sdtravelin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius with 58,000 miles. Drive in San Diego and Palm Springs. Earlier this year, the A/C would just cut off, maybe about once a week. The control panel indicated the A/C should be on, but absolutely no function. Drive around for 20 minutes, and all of a sudden, it would come on and work perfectly. It is starting to happen on a daily basis now...sometimes it won't work from start, other times it just cuts out while driving. I can park the car and shut the car off with the A/C working, then come back 30 minutes, and no A/C. It doesn't seem to matter which setting is selected. The control panel accepts all commands, but no function changes when the A/C has shut itself off. Loose connection somewhere? It works about 90% of the time, and blows very cold. When it shuts itself off, no air passes through the vents at all. Thanks

2. sdtravelin

sdtravelin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clarification...I don't recall it actually shutting off while driving, it just won't work sometimes on initial startup....about 1 in 5 times now. Then after 5 to 25 minutes, the A/C comes on. Thanks

3. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's in the normal auto mode it will only blow cold air if the interior temp is above the set point, or hot air if well below if the engine is warm. It isn't like the old systems. This may be your problem. Check for auto and what the temp setting is (push temp button on the steering wheel and look at the display)

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this used to happen to my car i pinned it down to a solar sensor once i erased the codes on the a/c ecu the problem went away

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The auto system should always blow SOME air though...unless it is off. It will always be circulating air.

Sounds to be like a bad blower motor...

6. chico-prius

chico-prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

7. chico-prius

chico-prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    how did you find/erase the codes??? (BTW, I'm having the exact same problem on 09 Prius. A/C and fan work when car is cold. If left out in sun, A/C and fan won't come on for 5-25 minutes, even though display says they're on. Dealer wanted $1,725.00 to drop dash and check evaporator with "no promises" it would fix problem ... LOL, yeah, right !!!)

8. Mazinio

Mazinio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey chico, did you ever find how to erase those codes? I'm having exactly the same problem with my prius now for the last couple of years. In extreme heat sometimes the a/c won't turn on, now it's winter and the heating decides to work only 40% of the time. Did you figure out what the problem actually was. Could really use some help.

Thanks

9. ArthurR

ArthurR New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys, I'm having same issue. The previous owner changed the compressor, so it started to.work. I bought the car and as soon as I left the whole thing shut down on the highway at night in rain 6 lanes me in the middle (no lights no power steering brakes nothing). I get few error codes, one P0A93 which is the inverter water pump. I changed the battery, became worse and would shut off. Got a brand new 12v battery yet again, now betit's better. But sometimes the compressor goes on sometimes just turns off and blows unconditionned air. Sometimes I let the car sit off for 20 minutes and ac would turn on. Sometimes not. I now have 2 12v batteries connected lol and car is functioning better but still. Setting dont matter, auto or not doesn't matter (never use auto, I'm iMiami the setting is always on 69. The red triangle of death is on. Just very weird things are happening with the car. I do deliveries at 3 jobs and it's now getting to a point where I'm tired of spending money and not getting the ac problem fixed. Also oxygen sensor code but that really shouldn't have anything to do with this. Any help will be VERY VERY APPRECIATED!

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked to see if the inverter pump is working? Take the cap off the inverter reservoir, you should see the coolant flowing. If you don’t there is a problem.

11. Mazinio

Mazinio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey did to ever find how to resolve this. Having the same problem. AC not working at all then might kick in after a while, sometimes not at all. It's getting hot here in LA and am dreading it. Seems like something electrical for sure. Ok I'm aboto change 12v battery. Fingers crossed.

12. Mazinio

Mazinio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey did to ever find how to resolve this. Having the same problem. AC not working at all then might kick in after a while, sometimes not at all. It's getting hot here in LA and am dreading it. Seems like something electrical for sure. Ok I'm aboto change 12v battery. Fingers crossed.