1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air filter replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jerry P, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Has anyone replaced their air filter yet? I have almost 16,000 miles on my Prius and went out today to check the oil and popped open the air filter housing to check it out and it is quite dirty - definitely in need of replacement. I haven't called a dealer yet but prices at Advance and Autozone run from $8.88 to $21.96. Seems like a pricey item. I have been running K&N filters in my wife's Corolla and my son's Echo and like the fact that they last forever and only need to be cleaned and re-oiled every 50,000 mi. Never had an issue with either one of them, however, the K&N site does not have one for the 2004 Prius. I'm just curious how much you paid for the Toyota part or any other brand of replacement.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I would put in any decent replacement filter (e.g., K&N, Fram, etc.). The Toyota filter will cost you twice as much and will be no improvement over those others. Any replacement filter that's good for the Echo should be good for the Prius.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do K&N filters stop small particles?

4. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not too sure about 2004 Prius however I drive a 1998 MK1 Prius and am currently using K&N High Flow Air Filter 33-2634. It's very pricey here in New Zealand. I paid NZ$140. Best is to take your air filter to a local store and check with this particular type. Hope it helps.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I paid $13.95 at the dealer for the Toyota replacement, and did mine after I had my service done at 15k. It includes the gasket that seals the air cleaner lid to conform w/ PZEV.

My only concern with the K&N is if they're overoiled, that they will contaminate the charcoal filter in the air cleaner lid which is used to absorb gasoline vapors to prevent them from escaping through the intake tract while the engine is off.

6. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I went with the Toyota filter. It cost me $14.85 at the local dealer which isn't TOO bad. I was amazed at how dirty my old one was, since it has been pretty wet here all year so far and I haven't noticed a lot of dust. I guess that it is a good thing that it is doing the job it was meant to do!

7. smtrader

smtrader Member

Anyone replaced the air filter inside the car...the one for the air conditioner?? How much does that run, and was it easy to change out?

8. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Haven't replaced it yet, but it's extremely easy to get to, just follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

A (Toyota) replacement cost me $20.04. (When you see the cabin air filter, you'll say $20 for THIS?, but it beats paying $64.95 to have a 'Toyota tech, who knows this car' change it.)

Thanks,
    Shawn

9. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cannot comment re: 2004 Prius however in 1998 model it sits behind the glove box. I have re used my Air Condition Air Filter (ACAF). It's very easy to take out because it is just clipped. Follow the user manual to understand how the bracket where it sits can be taken out. Plug your washing machine tub and mix hot and cold water evenly. Add a little bit of mild detergent. Place the ACAF in this mix and slowly move it up and down within the mix. You will observe that the fine dirt begin to let loose and ACAF begin to look white again. You may need to use a fine brush to take out some dirt/leaves which may remain in the groove. After this procedure run fresh water through the ACAF and place in under the sun or keep it in a dry place. Please do not blow dry it. Once the ACAF is dry, place it back on the plastic bracket and put it back in the console behind the glove box.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I run my air on recirculate >95% of the time. After ten months my A/C filter had one bug and one leaf in it, and barely visible discoloration.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Parts dept quoted me $14.52 for engine and $21.64 for cabin filters. Don't think that includes tax.
    Checked them at 15K. Fairly dirty, but I think I have some more miles on them. Might need to replace before 30K.