1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air/Fuel Mixture Sensor Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 050Milo, Mar 29, 2014.

1. 050Milo

050Milo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all let me say that I love this forum. I have learned a lot of things and tips on driving and maintaining my Prius.
    Here is my issue. I have a CEL with code P0138. I have already replaced the O2 sensor and the light remained. After further reading on this forum, I realized it was the A/F sensor that I had to replace. I can access the sensor and get an O2 socket on the sensor but can not loosen it. I tried several times. I tried from the top of the vehicle and from underneath it too. I've tried with the engine cold and with the engine warm but have had no luck.
    Am I missing anything? I'm thinking I have to take it to a mechanic and see if they can remove it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

SM-N900P ?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure your going in the right direction? Sometimes easy to get turned around under the car.

Anything on the exhaust is a bitch to remove after years on. Next step would be impact wrench. You can rent a electric Dewalt 1/2 inch drive for $15 a day. Don't go at it full bore just roll in a little impact and let it hammer the stuck sensor somewhat lightly for a while. The constant impact will eventually break it loose. Patience. If you go at it full bore you may snap it off. That Dewalt is very powerful.

Also freezing the sensor really helps too. It will shrink

3. 050Milo

050Milo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll give it a try. It is a tight fit I can barely fit a ratchet in there. And also the O2 socket is an offset socket. I have a pneumatic impact gun and also a multi tool with an impact wrench head. I'll give them I try. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.
    Thanks for the tip edthefox5

SM-N900P ?