1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air pressure and mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by feethanddooth, Dec 23, 2005.

1. feethanddooth

feethanddooth New Member

i am going to attempt to fill my tires up with some air today in feeling that they are low. i have never done it on my prius myself. anything i should do or not do? ive recently been getting much lower mpg and think this may be the cause

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing special. Consider using higher than recommended pressures...I use 42f/40r.

Do be sure the tires are cold (let the car sit for 4 hours after driving) when you check the pressure and fill them up.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A reasonable MPG-enhancing compromise is to check tire pressures whenever daily average outdoor air temps change more than about 10'C/20'F. Buy a cheap tire gauge and check them at home before you start the day's driving.

4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Richard, I was wondering why you said "cheap" tire gauge? I assume you think all gauges are accurate enough?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i feel the same way as greenmachine.

use a good gauge. there's a substantial error margin in the cheapies.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice new atvar did you get it from "What the #$*! Do We (K)now!?" ? Quantum Mechanics and Neurobiology. Just hold on to your wallet.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks. and nope, it's just a plain old cell image, nothing exciting. not to my credit, i don't do that kind of work at this time. well maybe i will be when i change labs for the 6th time, who knows. ahh, i'm taking a vacation first before worrying about these things.

8. cdavid

cdavid Member

Get one of those inexpensive digial ones. Sears had the Accutire gauge on sale for $7.49. Accurate to 0.5psi, self calibrates, lifetime warranty. They are still accurate if you drop it. Just about any mechanical gauge at more substantial prices are less accurate, very inaccurate if you drop it or jostle it, are more difficult to read the scale with any precision.

There was a big test in a motorcycle magazine not too long ago of about 20 gauges. Conclusion, digital ones are better, Acutire was best value.