1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Pressure warning light

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bart Howard, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Bart Howard

Bart Howard New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2005 - Toyota Prius. This is the situation: despite 3 0r 4 different Toyota Service Departments over the phone diagnosis, I DO NOT HAVE "Low Air Pressure stems on my Tyres" So when this yellow light comes on a week ago I called the Toyota dealership from which I purchased it (5 years ago) and they told me my tyre was flat. I'm British! British people are paranoid about tyre pressures because we get fined for having wrong tyre pressures; wrong tread life; wrong tyres; etc etc etc. My Tyres are 3 years old they did not give out any warning signals prior to last week. So finally I take it into East Coast Toyota who after smirking their way through the induction finally admitted that I do NOT have a tyre pressure problem but that I could have an ECU problem. Is this a fairly inexpensive operation? or am I looking at a remortgage?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So, you don't have tire pressure senders in your rims, but you got a low tire pressure warning light? The dealer says it's your ECU that's throwing a low tire pressure warning light?

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think they're giving you correct information. In my 2010 and 2012 Prius, at least, the tire pressure monitoring system works with a transmitter in each tire. If the transmitter is missing, a warning light appears. After inflating or rotating the tires, it's necessary to reset the system by pressing a button beneath the dash when starting the car.

Bottom line, though, if your tires are correctly inflated, it doesn't matter what the light says.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All new cars in the U.S. have TPMS by law. However, there is no requirement to replace the pressure sensors when they fail or when you replace the wheels, so an older Prius might be missing the sensors. Without sensors, the TPMS ECU will display the warning light - that's what it's designed to do. Either live with the light or buy some sensors.

Tom