1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag bolt won't come out during combi-meter repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Waara, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Help! I am in the middle of removing the dashboard to do the combi meter repair, and I cannot get one of the bolts on the passenger side airbag off. It turns, but does not come out. I have tried putting pressure between the two connections, but can't seem to get it to move out. Can anyone offer any advice? This is the bolt nearest the passenger door. There is very little room to maneuver around, and I'm stuck. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't remember if this is one of those small machine screws that has ~6mm hex head or not. They sometimes get stripped by overzealous tightening. If it is, I have a set of magnetic nut driver fittings that I use for times like this. Many times, the magnet will allow you to turn the screw slowly while gently pulling outward. This can help the screw get a bite to thread itself out.

If it uses a torx, or you don't have a magnet style, you can always superglue the torx/socket to the nut to simulate a magnet.

3. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the op is talking about one of the 12mm bolts goes in from the bottom of the dash near the cabin air filter.

I can confirm that some of those bolts can be extremely hard to break loose. I use a ratchet with about an 18” extension and a 12mm socket. This will allow you to be working in an open area and apply the necessary leverage to get it loose.

Just make sure you’re turning it the right direction. I’ve seen more than a few good mechanics forget lefty loosie when working upside down like those bolts are.

4. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it is the 12mm bolt that is near the air filter. I'm definitely turning it in the correct direction, though it will actually turn in either direction. I'm thinking maybe with a pair of nipping pliers I can get under the bolt and give a pull down. I don't think magnets or glue will be strong enough, plus I think it would just pull the socket off the wrench.

Is there anyway to remove the airbag from the dash? I see there are several hooks from airbag container that connect to the plastic of the dash. I could get them unhooked from the front, but I assume there are similar hooks in the back, and I don't see anyway I could unhook those. Also, would that be dangerous? I have disconnected the battery connections in the back, so there is no power going to the dash.

5. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t think that you’re going to be able to disconnect the airbag from the dash without removing the dash from the car. Unfortunately that’s the order that they go together in and forcing them apart will probably end up doing damage to one or the other.

I think I understand now what’s going on. Sorry I didn’t read your first post close enough. The bolt is turning in both directions but getting no tighter or looser. If that’s the case I think the threads on the bolt or the nut (maybe both) stripped out. There are only two ways I see to deal with that. Back the bolt out slowly while applying as much pressure between the pieces as possible, probably using a flat screwdriver or pliers like you mentioned. Or cut the head off of the bolt with something like a dremel tool. I think either way your going to need to get a new bolt and fix the threads on the nut. I’d hate to risk an airbag deployment without that thing securely attached to the structure of the car.

Did you notice any signs of somebody else having removed the dash from the car before. It makes me wonder if they might have cross threaded that bolt and just kept on cranking on it until it was in. We have seen that before.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Perhaps it could be just a fastened nut broken loose and spinning with the bolt? Most of times you can use screw driver or pliers to stop those types of nuts from spinning and get the bolt to loosen.

If not just go with the advices of Texas Hybrid Batteries

#6 valde3, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are pictures of the way the airbag module goes in the dash.

There are 5 tabs on the front side (opposite from where you're working).
    upload_2020-1-4_8-21-20.png

And five more tabs on the back side. Nothing else holds the airbag to the dash, it just floats in there. If you were to remove the airbag module you would have to pry that plastic back far enough for the tabs to clear those holes. Even with the dash out takes some doing.
    upload_2020-1-4_8-23-20.png

That's the nut in question. I always figured it was tack welded to that bracket (never really looked that close) but Valde made a good point about the possibility that the nut was also spinning.
    upload_2020-1-4_8-27-9.png

They are pressed in like a rivet. I tried making one spin with a pair of vice grips and a lot of force and it didn't budge.
    upload_2020-1-4_8-29-52.png

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. These photos were very helpful. I'm almost certain that the nut has come loose from the bracket and is spinning freely with the bolt. I can feel it "click" with each turn. Maybe I can wedge something between the nut and the bracket to keep the nut from turning. However, it looks like the nut is round and doesn't have sides to grip onto.

As for removing the airbag from the dash, I can get the front tabs free, but I don't know how I could get at the back tabs. I'll try wedging the nut first, but the other bolt was really stuck, so I imagine so is this one. Wish me luck.

9. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, given how tight all the tabs and other parts of the dash were, I would say the dash has never been removed. I think it is just a 14 year old car that spent its whole life in the tropics and feeling its age.

10. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are the nuts on the back of the airbag actual hex nuts? If so, what size (e.g., 12 mm)? I can't seem to wedge anything to get them to bite, but thought maybe I can get socket on it if they are actual nuts.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wedging a screwdriver to keep it from spinning should be possible. If the bolt is not cross threaded that should give enough force. Just wedge it from the side that feeds / sinks in when turning. Or locking pliers would also work if you can fit them.

Removing the airbag from the dash is basically impossible with the dash in place. Even with the dash out bending the tabs makes it a lot easier. But could you actually bend the tabs in place?

12. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The nuts are round on the back which makes it tricky. Wedging something in there still might add some resistance but nothing like having a flat surface to lock onto.

I've probably taken a thousand of these things apart and I've never had one of those nuts try to spin. I use an impact driver which may be the reason why. They deliver a fast heavy blow that will break nuts and bolts apart before anything can have a chance to start moving around.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hallelujah! I got it. I used an angled screwdriver to wedge in there and my drill, as opposed to my ratchet, to remove the bolt. The combination of fast turning and some friction did the trick. Once I got the dash off, there was evidence that someone had been in there before (there was duct tape holding some of the insulation in place), so maybe THB was right that someone had over tightened the bolts. (BTW, I know the person I bought the car from had all of her service done at the dealership.) Once I got the bolt off, everything else went very smoothly. It's all back together and looking like it's working correctly. Let's hope everything holds, and I can squeak out a couple more years out it.

Thanks for everyone's help and moral support.

valde3 likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great news!

Did you replace the rivnut, or just hope the loosened one won't be too loose next time?

15. Patrick Waara

Patrick Waara New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, I didn't replace it. It looked like it was still securely fastened. In fact, it wasn't clear to me how it even could move. When replacing the bolts, I snugged them up with a ratchet. I suspect the last person replaced the bolts using an impact driver and really over-tightened them.

Here are a couple of photos I took when I got it out. You can see in the first photo that it was the nut on the left. You can see where I bent the metal tab where I tried to force a screwdriver to create some pressure on the bolt/nut. Looking at the second photo, I really can't see how the nut even moves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#15 Patrick Waara, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020