1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag Light Code C1801 - $915 Repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mpower105, Aug 29, 2011.

1. mpower105

mpower105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love my 2010 Prius and have it serviced regularly. My Airbag light was staying on and I asked the dealer at my 60,000 service to check it out. I was told it was a Code 1801 - a "broken spiral cable" - and fixable for $915! Asked why it would break, all I got was a shrug and a suggestion that it must be the way I drive and "turn the wheel". (I have a straight line highway 120 round trip commute). I'm flummoxed! I'm told my airbag system is inoperable unless I spend $915. How can this happen? By the way, to retest would cost another $89...any suggestions? Thanks so much - this is my first post.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My first thought is you should go to another dealer. That sounds outrageous. It is obviously a manufacturing defect unless the car has been damaged in a serious accident or had a tree fall on it. Are they really trying to suggest that if I turn the steering wheel wrong my air bag system might fail? If so I want another car right away, and not Toyota either.

I think it should be covered by warranty even if you are over mileage. You should try calling Toyota and see what they have to say. This is a safety issue and the NHTSA might be interested.

EDIT: Check on page 14 of your warranty booklet, seat belts and air bags are covered for 60K miles or 60 months. So you are not so far out of warranty and they may make an exception. Also look on page 8 of the warranty booklet for some information on dispute resolution. Your state's attorney general might be able to help or at least offer some advice.

BTW welcome to PC and be sure to keep us informed, others could have the same problem in the future. Good luck with this.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were right at the 60K service, then the dealer should cover the repair---especially since this might be an NHTSA reportable issue as Tom mentioned, and especially if the lamp illuminated before the 60K service.
    If they refuse, or continue to do so, Tom's excellent advice WRT dispute resolution becomes immediately operative.
    The dealer admitted themselves that this is a chronic, rather than a sudden acute failure, which can (or should) be attributed to a manufacturer's defect.

My guess is that they treat it as a warranty failure once you assert that you're not going to pop for the $900+ repair.

If all else fails, then I'd say the "change brand/change delaership" lamp should illuminate.

Good Luck!
    Let us know how it shakes out.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There was a TSB about this sort of failure with the Gen II Prius. I don't know if the design has been improved for the Gen III, but I would guess that Toyota will fix yours for free if you apply a little pressure.

Tom

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree if you reported it at the 60k service (indicating that the problem emerged before 60k miles), they should cover it under warranty.

6. mpower105

mpower105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks to all who helped with advice. I went back to my regular service rep and she offered to have the dealership pay the $800 for the Spiral Cable and I'll pay $115 for labor. In a letter to the service manager praising her efforts, I quoted your responses.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good, that seems reasonable. It could be argued that they should have paid the labor also but I would have accepted the $800 parts offer also.

Enjoy your Prius! :rockon:

8. Archieinaustin

Archieinaustin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your estimate was much smaller than mine for my 2005 Prius. My dealership quoted $3000. and said they'd have to rip up and then replace the interior to find the break in the line. They didn't tell me the air bag system was inoperable, oddly enough. I did not go for the service, but am still wondering where I might get a fair estimate. They told me rats probably chewed through the wire....though I don't believe there was any evidence of rats....I've lost a lot of trust for the dealership over time, for several reasons - but remain at the mercy....

9. Archieinaustin

Archieinaustin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By the way - after posting my own version of your story and hear from another Prius owner, I got under the front seats and jiggled the wires - checking the connections and the light went off!