1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag recall dose not effect prius? below from toyotas website

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beachbummm, May 20, 2015.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have two Prii from 04 and 05 I wanted to see if they are under recall, I was surprised they are not at this time...I thought all the airbags for Toyota were made by this company.

Front Passenger Airbag Inflator

Toyota has also initiated two separate Safety Recall actions related to Takata Passenger airbag inflators. One is a nationwide recall, and a second recall is focused on the gulf coast and other areas within the United States and United States Territories with consistently high absolute humidity.
    A vehicle may be included in either the nationwide Takata Passenger inflator recall activity or the regional Passenger inflator recall. In both recalls, if your vehicle is involved, the Passenger airbag inflator will be replaced. The two Safety Recalls include the following vehicles:
    [​IMG]
    Nationwide Safety Recall DSF/DSC:
    • 2003-2004 Corolla
    • 2003-2004 Corolla Matrix
    • 2003-2004 Tundra
    • 2002-2003 Sequoia
    • 2002-2004 Lexus SC430
    [​IMG]
    Regional Safety Recall E04/ELG:
    • 2003-2007 Corolla
    • 2003-2007 Corolla Matrix
    • 2003-2006 Tundra
    • 2002-2007 Sequoia
    • 2002-2007 Lexus SC430
    Takata continues to test Passenger inflators from recalled vehicles. Test results from the Passenger inflators recovered from consistently high absolute humidity areas (such as Southern Florida and Puerto Rico) have shown a possible correlation with high absolute humidity areas and abnormal Passenger airbag inflator deployment. Test results of parts from areas with lower absolute humidity than these regions have shown normal deployment. For this reason, we are prioritizing the remedy of vehicles in high absolute humidity areas.
    If your vehicle is not located in the areas with consistently high absolute humidity (such as, Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Gulf Coast and US Territories), you are located in an area where the absolute humidity is less than in these specific areas. High absolute humidity is related to higher temperature, southern coastal areas and is not the same as high relative humidity.
    Please remember, the front Passenger airbag is designed to inflate only in certain moderate to severe crashes. If you are operating a vehicle involved in these Safety Recall actions, you should locate passengers into the rear seating positions to minimize risk.
    Our plan is to release remedy parts in waves (phases). We will notify you directly by first class mail when parts become available in your area and invite you in to your local dealer for the remedy. Please contact your Toyota or Lexus dealer, or the Customer Assistance team whose contact information is noted in the frequently asked questions below. They stand ready to assist you with any questions or concerns you might have related to these important safety recalls.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just looking at those models, I suspect it only effects Toyotas manufactured in North America.

Corolla was made at NUMMI in California
    Matrix was made in Ontario
    Tundra is made in Texas
    Sequoia is made in Indiania

3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    could be, I just assumed all airbag parts behind the plastic cover are the same made by the same company

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I strongly suspect airbags in different locations have different sizes, shapes, triggers and expansion behaviors.
    This sounds as if, in Toyota's case, it is only affecting the passenger airbags. I am unsure if the others are simply different model bags, or a different manufacturer all together.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking a NHTSA website yesterday for multiple household vehicles, I saw a disclaimer that the car makers have not yet had time to get all the information collected and posted. It may take several days or a few weeks for the complete listings to be posted, at least for the VIN checking tools.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    AFAIK the defective airbags were traced to a Takata plant in Mexico and one in the USA. They have 6 plants in Japan, 8 plants in the USA, 8 plants in Mexico and quite a number in other countries. Since the Prius is 100% made in Japan I doubt any of the defective airbags were shipped to Japan.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well the Lexus SC 430 is made in Japan, so there goes your theory that it does not apply to made in Japan cars.