1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aircon Warm Air!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My air conditioning constantly blows out warm air - even if I set it to the lowest temperature ("LO").

How can I get around this?

Many thanks

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Turn it off or get it fixed? Why is it blowing warm air? Does it need charging or repairing?

3. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unsure - I have some tests that I need to carry out for now, which have been provided to me by another very kind PriusChat member (John BritPrius).

They are as follows:

The electric radiator fans are difficult to see, but with the A/C operating at full cold they should be running. Listen by the front grill you should hear the fans running over the noise of the A/C compressor, or put your hand down between the engine and the radiators you should feel air movement from the rads towards the engine. (nothing to bite you down there)
    While your there there is a metal pipe (about 1/2 inch dia aluminium) coming up from the compressor that joins a rubber pipe. (center front of the engine) Feel that pipe to see if it is cold.

When you turn the A/C off you should see some foaming of the liquid in the sight glass for a few seconds.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Steve, Sam is in the UK and I ask him to move this post here because it was tagged on the end of another topic that had nothing to do with A/C.
    Some other tests have been carried out and am awaiting the results from the tests above.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  5. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ahhh, I see. Sam you are in good hands with John. He has a wealth of information about the Prius.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate sub forum

7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John

I just found abit of time this evening to carry out your checks, and whilst I was getting the car ready for them - I noticed that a cable was loose, and so I thought that I should ask you about this before I turned the car on.

I tested the car alarm earlier but I don't think this is related to it.

There's a cable - looks like an earthing cable which I found wasn't attached to anything - had a loop on the end of it. Whilst I had the bonnet open - I took more photos of the car for you to see if everything else looks okay. There's alot of black tape everywhere but unsure if this is normal.

I'm attaching all of the pictures I took, including the cable and where it was coming from.

your thoughts, as always are welcome

thanks again

Attached Files:

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I agree that looks like a Chassis grounding cable (earth) I will check on my car to see if I can find where it comes from and goes to. I am going to the Midlands tomorrow to see if I can organize some parts. Check on those rad fans they are important.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay - could you email me a contact number for you please?

So atleast we can discuss parts, last minute, if needed.

If it's safe for me to do the testing with this cable loose, I'll do it, but just confirm for me.

cheers

P.S. images 1 and 2 show the end of the cable and also where it comes from. It looked like it came direct from the engine. Unsure if the image highlights this well enough.

10. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    theres a big fan infront of the grill and this wasn't moving at all when i switched the aircon on

i couldnt get my hand down to the pipe either - it was too much of a tight fit for my forearms...

i'm alittle concerned - especially with that undone earthing cable

11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RE: the earthing cable - I spotted a local cab driver who had the same Prius as mine and so I approached him to see if I could look at where that cable is connected. It looked as though it went straight to a nut under the black plastic rim/covering towards the front grill of the car, under the bonnet, on the driver's side. So I got home, pulled that section up, spotted a small size 10 nut, un-did it and connected the earthing cable underneath that. I think this sorted it.

I then did another check on the air con and it seemed to blow a cool-ish breeze but still not really cold. I couldn't see any bubbles/froth, etc in that small glass that you mentioned.....and as far as fans go - I could only see the large one infront of the front grill and this wasn't moving.

Is it worth checking the air con coolant levels - if there's such a thing?

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam,Sorry for the delay in responding "had to spend the night away from home unexpectedly"

The pipe that I asked you to check for being cold is easy to reach. It is the one with the top up valve in the middle of the engine compartment. If you are sure the radiator fans are not running with the A/C on max this is very likely to be the problem.
    The heat extracted by the A/C system has to be got rid of, if it is not it is returned into the system and can produce warm air. First step check the all the fuses marked "heater, A/C, or fan.
    I will send you a PM with contact number.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  13. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good morning

I've just tested the aircon and it seems to be blowing out cool air! Yipeee!

:)

I think it was to do with that earthing cable. Since screwing it to a bolt, the aircon now seems to be working fine. I tested it only for about 30 seconds and it seemed to blow out cool air. That silver pipe that you referred too was also very cold. I removed the black cover near the front grill and I still couldn't see those 2 fans but I guess it all works so all is well. That round glass also seemed to have abit of wetness and small bubble condensation on the actual round glass.

I think it's mission accomplished on this for now :)

I will now be inspecting any more loose cabling on the car just to make sure everything is as it should be. There's alot of black tape on cables and some bits I am unsure of, so i will post some pictures in a new thread, as and when I come across any areas that I am unsure of.

thanks again :)

14. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! Warm air again!

I left it running for a while and it started blowing warm air again!

Could somebody post a picture of where the aircon fans are please? Struggling to spot them

Thanks

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam if you drive the car preferably at a steady speed "say 40 mph" does the A/C work. If it does the fans are not working so that there is no airflow through the rads when the car is stationary. When the car is moving "at sufficient speed" the air is forced through the rads and the A/C works. I will post pictures, but my wife has the Prius at the moment.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  16. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thanks John, take your time.

I tried calling a few minutes ago but couldn't connect.

I just can't see anything except the main fan infront of the grill. I can hear a sound coming from near where that silver hybrid synergy drive box is, whilst the aircon is on.

I'll see if I can do that driving test. Only problem in this area is that as soon as I leave my parking space, I'll probably lose it and then struggle to get my car parked up near my house again for today, and so I'll try this driving aircon test over the weekend.

Thanks again John

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Synergy drive box is the inverter. This provides power to the motors that drive the car and the A/C compressor and does make a noise as it works. However it does not run the two cooling fans.

I have mailed two slightly different air bag plugs, should be with you tomorrow.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  18. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you for the airbag plugs John.

You're my hero :)

right - okay - well the inverter is all that I can hear when the aircon is on.....the fans must be asleep. I just can't see them no matter how hard I look underneath that front black cover. I've been googling around and I can't see any images with the fans in them.

Oh by the way - as you're on Pay As You Go, feel free to just leave me a missed call and I would call you straight back. I tried calling earlier but couldn't connect. I had the bonnet up and thought maybe you could talk me through where the fans were, whilst infront of the car.

thanks again :)

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am going for a pint latter will try and ring then when I get a mobile signal.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  20. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    damn you're so clever!

yep, you were right - it's the fans that are playing up. I went for a quick local spin and the aircon worked well, and so I'm assuming the air through the radiator enabled the fans to work and off they went!

What's the next step Captain?