1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AirConditioning Trick

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Smirv, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some of you may already do something similar to this but I thought I'd share. Its hot here now and In order to get my car's air to the temp I like it it has to kick the fan on HI and obviously makes the engine work a bit harder. Well, what I have been doing lately is turning my temperature one less than the outside temp (according to the car) and it has the AC come on pretty low but it effectively cools the car down to a comfortable temp without making the car work as hard. Then once the car is cooled down moderately adjust to a cooler temp if neccesary.

2. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I open all my windows and evacuate all the hot air. I'm amazed that people don't do this and drive around in super hot interiors. Good tip thou. I'll try it.

3. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was doing that to and it takes awhile for it to cool plus driving with the windows open = less gas mileage for me (as opposed to having the air on low).

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ECO mode also restricts the fan speed. Have you tried that?

5. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, my car is always on eco.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok. Not to put down the tip. It is a good one.

7. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a good tip. I learned also to open the hatch as soon as I approach the car...it is amazing how much stale hot air is trapped in the boot area.

1 person likes this.
  8. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ill have to try that.....

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think we should listen to the guys from Texas and Florida - they know about hot cars.

10. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tint the windows, the Prius is a green house. :D

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I was in high school, I had a Ford LTD station wagon. Like most station wagons, the rear window rolled down. Evacuating hot and stale air was a breeze with the front windows open and the back window down. The air just flowed through. It also made driving with the windows down very nice.

There are many times when I wish I could roll down the Prius' little lower window for exactly the same reasons.

12. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It doesn't take long to get the hot air out so you don't have to drive long with the windows open. But it makes a big difference.

13. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another trick:

Most are not aware that the A/C-heater control doesn't simply switch from AUTO to manual as soon as the AUTO light turns off. In fact, while in AUTO mode, changing one setting will only make this setting manual, the other settings stays in auto mode (FAN, RECIRC, or MODE).

Therefore, in the case of A/C, you can push AUTO, then manually reduce the fan speed and the system will still automatically control MODE and RECIRC. As the fan speed is slower, the power requirement on the variable speed A/C compressor is reduced. After a few minutes, as the car interior gets cooler, push the AUTO button again to let the system take back control of the fan speed and go back to full auto.

Of course, this routine should first begin with opening all windows for a short period of time to let out hot air (thanks to the full auto electric windows!).

4 people like this.
  14. PriusPhile

PriusPhile New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for sharing all of these tips. Some are common sense things that I didn't even think about and others are unique to Prius. I am a bit obsessed with mileage and don't want the a/c (or heater) to eat away at my MPGs.

Also, I am glad to see unapologetic Prius ads back of the airwaves...

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried this on the way home last night and it worked like a charm. I have been putting up with the high speed fan for a while until the cabin cooled down. It was nice to set it to low speed and have the cabin cool down gradually and then switch back to Auto.

THANKS

16. JATiii

JATiii Druid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Am I the onlyp one who just drives my Prius like a normal car and if I get 46 MPG in cold weather or 52 in warmer weather, I just don't worry about it?? It is still a lot better than anything as comfortable. I really don;t liek to drive weirdly or be cole in the winter or hot in the summer to eek out an extra mile or two.

As for the window 'trick,' I suggest when you star the car and begin driving, you open one front window only about an inch or two and one back window about the same. That pulls the air out very quickly, keeps it not too breezy and quiet. I suspect that this is also better for gas mileage. I've been doing this for decades.

1 person likes this.
  17. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a White Prius and I got one of those Sunshades for the front windshield. Even though the white helps keep the car cool, that black dashboard will heat up your car in an instant if you leave your Prius parked in the sun. In seventy degree weather the difference between using the sunshade and not is at least twenty to thirty degrees. Plus it will save your dash board from cracking years from now.

Best part is these windshield sunshades only cost $30 from the Prius shop. :)

18. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I bought a
    Heatshield, paid the 30 bucks, use it all the time.
    The difference is noticeable. I also think it will
    help the dash last longer, too (against cracking
    and color fading).

19. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drive mine the same way and get just about the exact same mileage you do. As an added bonus I don't get funny looks from people and I don't get cut off in traffic.

20. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Heck, or just get a full body car covering if you must park it in the elements...that's something I'm thinking about.